Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Proxy - what am I doing wrong

Hi All,

I'm having issues with getting proxies working for Vray Houdini, keeping their materials. Please see attached screen shots and scene file. Its as simple as can be but still wont keep the materials, it will however use the first material and apply to the whole proxy object.

I am using the vray proxy material and it does detect that there are three materials in the vrmesh file. But wont re assign them. I must be doing something wrong here, any help appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Mark.

Attached Files

Hello MarkWalker Please be aware that V-Ray Proxy does not store any attributes, nor hierarchy. That being said I would recommend exporting your geometry as .vrscene.

More about the V-Ray VRayScene you can read here.

More about the Export you can find here.
    Last edited by viktor_angelov; 15-01-2024, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Is there any particular reason to use vrmesh instead of Alembic?
      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
      Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
        Hello MarkWalker Please be aware that V-Ray Proxy does not store any UVs, nor UDIMs, nor attributes, nor hierarchy. That being said I would recommend exporting your geometry as .vrscene.

More about the V-Ray VRayScene you can read here.

More about the Export you can find here.
        Thanks!

Can we get a vrscene export node, so it can be put in anywhere to grab some output instead of exporting the whole scene globally?

Comment

Anyway, here is an example of how to make it work for *.vrmesh (exporter uses packed "path" attribute for object partitioning).
          Attached Files
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
            Anyway, here is an example of how to make it work for *.vrmesh (exporter uses packed "path" attribute for object partitioning).
            Oh Thankyou!

Yeah so a couple of reasons. Firstly I'm currently migrating from Maya/Vray to Houdini/Vray and am familular with vrmesh/vrscene. 2nd I'm prob not fully aware yet of the best way to do things, 3rd as far as I can tell, vrmesh is pretty light and I dont need the shaders saved in the proxy file just the shading groups, the shaders will always be available in the host file. I'm working on getting my vegetation assets setup to be as light as possible so can be instanced hundreds of thousands of times. Oh and I like how the vrmesh/vrscene gives proxy viewport preview mesh by default, not sure how to do that with alembic.

Thankyou for your help. I'm going to setup a test with vrmesh they way you showed, vrscene and alembic and see how they preform.

Comment

Working...
            X