Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houdini freezing when IPR is open and change any value on lighting/textures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houdini freezing when IPR is open and change any value on lighting/textures...

I'm experiencing some troubles everytime i have the IPR opened and modify any value, I've tried to copy my scene on another hip file but keeps freezing

Hello oscar_bermejotornero Thank you for sharing. Is this something you experience with every scene (even simple ones) or just one specific?

We would need additional information in order to assist you:
    • available Graphics card (GPU) and currently installed driver version
    • could you share a video showing the freeze/delay that you are experiencing?
    • could you please share one of these scenes with us to test in in our environment? It will be highly appreciated
    You can share it here or by Submitting a Request to our system: Submit a request ​ Please, do not forget to use V-Ray > Pack Scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...6_09-38-37.jpg

Meanwhile, feel free to install the latest V-Ray for Houdini nightly build and test with it: https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/vray6houdini/nightly

Comment

Hi oscar_bermejotornero I can't reproduce the freeze. What is your OS, Houdini and V-Ray versions? Is this GPU or CPU engine?
      Georgy Chakarov | QA
      www.chaosgroup.com
      georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
        Hello oscar_bermejotornero Thank you for sharing. Is this something you experience with every scene (even simple ones) or just one specific?

We would need additional information in order to assist you:
        • available Graphics card (GPU) and currently installed driver version
        • could you share a video showing the freeze/delay that you are experiencing?
        • could you please share one of these scenes with us to test in in our environment? It will be highly appreciated
        You can share it here or by Submitting a Request to our system: Submit a request ​ Please, do not forget to use V-Ray > Pack Scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...6_09-38-37.jpg

Meanwhile, feel free to install the latest V-Ray for Houdini nightly build and test with it: https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/vray6houdini/nightly
        - Hi! Well honestly, it has been the first scene im using Vray, that's why i was asking, maybe there was something i was doing wrong, i purchased last week the license!
        I have a GeForce 2060 RTX Super and 64GB RAM, i was rendering with CPU, since with GPU textures were looking bad (that was another question i had by the way)
        I send you a hip file tomorrow, I'm out right now! Thanks!

Comment

oscar_bermejotornero Thank you. Looking forward to the files.

Comment

Originally posted by chakarov View Post
            Hi oscar_bermejotornero I can't reproduce the freeze. What is your OS, Houdini and V-Ray versions? Is this GPU or CPU engine?
            Hi! I'm using Windows and Houdini 19.5.368 and Vray 6.20.05! I was using CPU rendering

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
              oscar_bermejotornero Thank you. Looking forward to the files.
              By the way, what is Pack Scene used for, if its possible to ask? I'm fairly new to Vray and right now im trying to understand correctly the render

Comment

Originally posted by oscar_bermejotornero View Post

By the way, what is Pack Scene used for, if its possible to ask? I'm fairly new to Vray and right now im trying to understand correctly the render
                It packs the scene with all the assets needed into a folder, making sure we have everything that is required. It also generates a Text file that has information about the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar_bermejotornero View Post
                  I'm experiencing some troubles everytime i have the IPR opened and modify any value, I've tried to copy my scene on another hip file but keeps freezing
                  Hi Oscar,

This is an issue we've had for quite some time for several versions of both Houdini and VRay under Windows, and I actually reported on this issue via mail yesterday.
                  Not sure it's the same issue, but for us Houdini and VRay's VFB freeze when doing IPR rendering and we have to force quit Houdini.

In our case it seems to have something to do with scenes in Houdini/VRay getting stuck on cooking(or similar) hidden(display flag off) geometry nodes which contain custom HDA's. The freeze happens as soon as you try to switch to the obj context from out.

Try to switch the "Auto Update" option in Houdini's lower right corner to "Manual" and see if it helps avoid a freeze.

Comment

Hello guys, I also have freezes when I use IPR. I use the GPU for rendering and it seams to freeze when I'm in debug mode.

I found out that if you're useing a render region it helps to increase or decrease the region so the freeze is gone for a few seconds. Do it twice, three times and you're fine again. It seams like that just houdini freezes but the vfb is fine.

When I use two screens it's worse then with one. So I think it maight have something to do with only heaving one gpu for gui and ipr. I guess low priority gpu option in ipr settings helps but they're on by default

The Problem Marcus_C has descriped also occured in the last project. Houdini had to cook all the GEO SOP's when you went to the OBJ level for adjusting lights and so on. I had a lot of heavy data in my OBJ level. so the result was the Houdini just filled my whole RAM and the crashed. The OBJ GEO nodes where all disabled only the one I was working was visibel. Really strange behaviour. The only fix I found out was to split the scene

Comment

> Houdini had to cook all the GEO SOP's when you went to the OBJ level for adjusting lights and so on

Could you share this scene with us privately? I really want to fix this.
                      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                      Support Request

Comment

bdancer I have to ask my customer first. I'm also right now in the end phase of a project which is really intense. I have really no free space to do something else beside it.

But I can promise you an answear next mid week! I'm also really up to improve Vray for Houdini, would make my life much more relaxed

Comment

bdancer My customer is ok with sending you the data privately. I'll prepare the scene tomorrow and then have a look first. Maybe the freezings are already much better with the newest nightly and dont need any improvements...

Comment

I can confirm the IPR freezes for months now. It would work nicely in a test for a simple scene, but as the scene gets more complex IPR becomes unusable, without any obvious logic. It would hang even with an empty (all objects hidden) scene. And sometimes, if you leave it for a really long time (hours) it will render in the end.

But the latest nightly - 22678 - seems to work again, hooray!

Minor note, the IPR render button does nothing, you have to select a specific camera from the list and then it starts rendering.

Comment

bdancer I had the time for cleaning the project a bit and pack it for you guys.

I tested it again with the newest nightly. Still the freezings. I found out the the freezings are happening when I'm in VFB Debug mode, focusing a vrayLayer node in Material and Region Rendering turned on. When I don't turn on the region rendering it was fine.

I'll send you the files privately.

Comment

Working...
                              X