frame buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame buffer

When rendering the final image is there a way to get it visualized. For example in the viewport and image viewer(space+5) we always see the ipr. I want to set the bucket instead of progressive for example and do a render in the scene, how do i go about doing that?
    http://goodbyekansasstudios.com/

I've wondered this too. With Houdini 19 and Karma things are pretty good, because you can just render to Mplay, and setting aside Karma's progressive/bucket behavior, it's pretty familiar to the old Mantra/Mplay relationship. VRay5 has one of the nicest frame buffers out there, so it's a shame that we can't use it in Solaris. Is there any way this can be supported going forward? The IPR stuff is great for look-dev, but when you get down to the business of dialing in renders you really need a proper framebuffer.

Comment

> When rendering the final image is there a way to get it visualized.

With husk?

> I want to set the bucket instead of progressive for example and do a render in the scene.

With husk? Or in viewport?
      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
      Support Request

Comment

>> When rendering the final image is there a way to get it visualized.

>With husk?

no in the vieport. Sorry if im being vague. Im not 100% sure if i want the vray frame buffer back or i want the image viewer in houdini to behave like it

>> I want to set the bucket instead of progressive for example and do a render in the scene.

>With husk? Or in viewport?

in the viewport. Right now if i put vray to render bucket there is no way for me to be able to see it. I only have ipr in the viewport (or i think it is)

Comment

Hi!
          We are also having trouble with this. In the USD render rop, the "Render to MPlay" button does not seem to be working when using vray.
          It brings up an MPlay window but the image never appears, it just stays black.
          When using Karma, it works as expected.

This is using V-Ray for Houdini number:22437 hash:e9a44aa from 03 Mar 2022 04:57 V-Ray Core 5.20.20 [184660f8] from 24 Feb 2022 in Houdini 19.0.531 on windows 10

Comment

vintrvidar
            1. "Render to MPlay" has nothing to do with VFB.
            2. In Solaris V-Ray is a Hydra delegate, it doesn't know anything about MPlay or however delegate is going to be used by the USD Hydra API. All it does is fills render buffer with the image data.
            3. It seems to work for me.
            Attached Files
            Support Request

Comment

Thank you.
              I think MPlay is enough for our purpose. We just want some way of seeing the progress of the render.
              Interesting to hear that rendering to MPlay works on your end. I will have to investigate why we are having trouble then.
              Do you have any pointers to what could be going wrong? I don't think there's anything unusual in our setup and the problem seems quite opaque at the moment, since there is no output.
              Is there a log or something we could look at to figure out the issue?

Comment

> Is there a log or something we could look at to figure out the issue?

Everything is printed to the stdout. Use HOUDINI_TEXT_CONSOLE to enable console window.
                Support Request

Comment

Anyway, it won't render progressively, I'll check what could be done.
                  Support Request

Comment

MPlay will show render progress in the next nightly.
                    However nothing will be shown if render is finished before MPlay is loaded. I have no control over it.
                    Support Request

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick fix!
                      It does indeed work today, the buckets update in MPlay as the render progresses.

Comment

Cool! works for me too. Is it possible to hook up the focus rendering. When left clicking with mouse it focus the bucket or the progressive samples around that point.

Comment

> Is it possible to hook up the focus rendering. When left clicking with mouse it focus the bucket or the progressive samples around that point.

If you have seen smth like that in V-Ray for 3dsmax or Maya then yes; no - otherwise.
                          Support Request

Comment

Cool, yes both should have it, this is from maya docs.

https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...y+Frame+Buffer

Click image for larger version

Name:	focus_rendering.png
Views:	336
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1142883

Comment

Hydra render buffer is not VFB unfortunately.
                              Support Request

Comment

Working...
                              X