(Fixed) [HOU-4081] vraystandardrendervars takes ages to cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Fixed) [HOU-4081] vraystandardrendervars takes ages to cook

A "V-Ray Standard Render Vars" node in a fresh Solaris session takes about 12 seconds to cook in Houdini 20. In Houdini 19.5 it was less than a second, from what I remember.

Also in H20 I get a ton of "Skipping unrecognized parameter"-warnings from the node.

Any idea what's going on here?

Code:
    Houdini:
    HFS: 20.0.506
    Platform: linux-x86_64-gcc9.3​

V-Ray:
    V-Ray for Houdini number:22595 hash:eee8467 from 24 Nov 2023 22:54
    V-Ray Core 6.10.20 [bb43746c] from 24 Nov 2023

Just to add to this. It seems the node converts all parms to spare parms when you drop it down which is what is taking a long time. If I make a new HDA out of it and copy all the spare parms to the type properties and then load that HDA it works the same but doesn't take ages cooking. So seems to be that converting to spare parms thats taking forever.

Comment

Can give the one created by LeoYfver here at goodbye kansas a spin. Its much faster: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...var-hda-shared

But its maybe time for us to update it and put it on github or something instead cause I think that one is slightly out of date at the moment.

Comment

GoodbyeKansas It's nice with alternatives and I from what I remember your rendervars HDA worked really well. Still, I think the one that ships with VRay should be fixed either way .

Comment

I would like to add that by default it seems that the Beauty rendervars from the vrayRendervars node doesn't read as rgba in Nuke 13.2.8, the only solution I found so far in H20 V-Ray 6.10.09 is to create my own or modify the existing one so that the name is `rgba`, then nuke reads it correctly... So something to investigate as well for a proper fix
          Marvin Chrastek
          Lighting Lead @ Ghost VFX

Comment

Yes we also found this issue. we have a fix in an attribute wrangle which renames it and also clears the prefixes of the other ones which seemed to fix it. very strange issue though as this seems like a basic thing that would be tested before rollout? I think its always been an isuse with the hydra rendering.

Comment

Any update on this one?
              Jacob Børsting
              Head of Pipeline @ Ghost VFX

Comment

Hey folks,

The slow-down should be resolved in the latest nightly builds - it was caused by a handful of warnings on node creation.

Best regards!
                gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Good news, Gosho! We don't spot a Houdini 20 VRay 6.1 build from today, so assume it'll be out tomorrow?

Comment

Hey Dan,

The build is here: https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vray6h...ghtly/20240110

You should be able to access and see it.

Best regards!
                    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

We got access now, so will get it installed and tested

Comment

The slow-down seems to be resolved, so that's good news!

I'm still seeing the other issue mentioned further up the thread, where enabling rendervars makes the resulting .exr-render not display properly in Nuke (rgba appears black). Can you reproduce this issue on your end?

Comment

V-Ray is not writing output files - Solaris/USD/Hydra does.
                          So, compare your setting to Karma if Karma writes stuff for you.
                          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                          Support Request

Comment

Did some digging and from what I can tell, the problem is that the "V-Ray Standard Render Vars"-node doesn't set the following attribute on each RenderVar:
                            Code:
                            driver:parameters:aov:husk:channel_prefix
                            If I copy that property over from the corresponding Karma RenderVar, the resulting rendered .exr seems to be configured correctly and display as expected in RV and Nuke.

Comment

> on each RenderVar

Could you be more specific? Cause I see those set e.g. here:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	17_01_2024_15-55-03.png
Views:	81
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1199973
                              V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                              andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                              Support Request

Comment

Working...
                              X