Save out Vray Displaced Mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save out Vray Displaced Mesh?

Hi, I was wondering if it is currently possible to save out the displaced mesh from Vray similar to this feature in 3ds max?
    ttps://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4411224808209-How-to-convert-V-Ray-Displacement-modifier-to-V-Ray-Proxy-mesh-or-regular-3ds-Max-geometry

If it currently is not available, can I put it in as a feature request?

Thanks so much.

Dear chadstevens, hello.

Could you please try doing it via V-Ray Object properties > Bake Geometry ?
    Sharing feedback afterwards will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
    TS

Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
    3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Thanks, Tsvetomira for getting back so fast, I've been testing this and it does export the mesh which is great, but it doesn't seem to change the density if I change the edge length at all, I've changed to it be 64 or 0.5 and the mesh is the exact same, I've changed it in the global settings, the object settings and in the material settings to see if it makes a difference, but it didn't work.

I'm using Houdini 9.5.435
      Vray Version: V-Ray for Houdini hash:20a9711 from 12 Dec 2022 22:01
      V-Ray Core 6.00.21 [cf284949] from 10 Dec 2022

I'll try it on a newer version now and get back to you.

Cheers.​

Comment

Alright, so I've tried with the latest Stable nightly with Houdini 19.5.605 and I'm still getting the same problem, the mesh density is too low once exported and nothing I do seems to increase the resolution.

Is there a way to change the resolution at export? I've uploaded a screenshot showing the difference between the mesh and the render.

Cheers.

Attached Files

Comment

So the issue is the viewport representation, right?
          Do you want to see all the subdivided triangles in the viewport?
          VRayProxy is showing "Preview Geometry" by default, you could try switching to "Full Geometry" at the SOP.
          If the issue is with the rendered geometry, it may be better if you could send me a scene.
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

No, sorry, it's not the viewport representation I am having a problem with. I am using the show full geometry option, the problem is when I save the geometry the edge length parameter doesn't change the mesh resolution, it always has the same amount of detail and the detail is far lower than the rendered version.

The way I'd expect it to work is as I decrease the edge length, the resolution of the mesh would increase as it does in 3ds max, but it doesn't seem to have any effect when saving out the geometry.

I've attached a scene file, but the displacement map was too big to send, so you'll just have to use another one.

Cheers.
            Attached Files

Comment

You original mesh is already very dense that's why you don't see any difference (even without baking and just rendering the subdivision edge length control basically does nothing).
              Uploading my file just in case, I've linked edge length parameter and I clearly see the difference between 0.1 and 0.01. Could you pls check the attached file?
              Attached Files
              V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
              andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
              Support Request

Comment

Alright, I feel silly

I clearly didn't go low enough on the edge length, it does indeed work when I lower it below one, I'm not sure if it's a scene scale issue, because in 3ds max edge length of 4 gives very high-resolution results at render, but maybe that's got something to do with the internal settings at render time, I've never gone anywhere near 0.05 for displacement on edge length before so I'm not sure what's going on, but this seems to be working great now. Thanks very much.

Cheers.

Comment

Looks like its the difference between camera displacement and world space displacement.

Comment

Working...
                  X