Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Arnold materials to V-Ray

Hi guys,

Is there a tool somewhere out there that converts Maya Arnold materials to V-Ray?

Thanks!
    Hristo Velev
    MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
    Sofia, Bulgaria

Try the Vray tuner, although it won't convert complex shading networks.
    https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

We checked that out, turns out it doesn't support the Arnold materials we're getting. We'll try to script it, though with some complex materials it's gonna be trouble
      Hristo Velev
      Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Originally posted by glacierise View Post
        We checked that out, turns out it doesn't support the Arnold materials we're getting. We'll try to script it, though with some complex materials it's gonna be trouble
        From my experience, it's going to be trouble all-around.
        From shading models to light fixtures, you're in for some considerable amount of dictionary + (il)logic work.
        I spent a month making a v-ray to arnold converter in max to get only half-baked results at best, and utterly different outcomes most of the time.
        I can see why it'd be slightly prettier the other way around, but it still won't be a walk in the park...
        And this is before shading networks get touched (in Max, some are cross compatible, if results differ, so i could replug the same stuff most of the time.).
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ok, good to know. Could hope that some baking could get at least the basic stuff covered but yeah - trouble all round
          Hristo Velev
          Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Poke me if something stumps you, ofc, although i didn't do the work in maya...
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
            X