Multiple Displacement Maps on one object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Displacement Maps on one object

As the title says, is it possible to assign more than one displacement map to an object?

Can you be a bit clearer about what you mean? The displacement node plugs into the shading group, so if you have more than one shader assigned to an object, then yes that's one way it could work. However, so far as I'm aware an object can only have one set of displacement attributes so all maps would share those. If you mean overlaying one map on top of another, not sure why you'd need to do that as you could combine them in several different ways (layered texture, blend node etc.)

Comment

I was able to just plug in a displacement map to the displacement slot of the shading group and that worked. I don't know how to control the intensity of the displacement though. Here is a screenshot:

Comment

You control the intensity of the displacement by enabling some Vray attributes. You can do that a couple of ways -- the easiest is through the attribute editor on the object you're displacing. Have a look at the help docs.

Comment

Your talking about the Displacement - Apply single/multiple attributes and applying Displacement Control to the object?

Will that control the Displacement intensity that is applied to the shader group (like shown above)?

Comment

That's not how displacement works in Vray -- displacement is controlled at the object level. You're looking for "displacement amount" in the displacement control rollout. You likely also want to add "subdivision and displacement" quality which adds control for displacement tessellation.

Comment

This person seemed like they were able to do it:

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ex-paint-blend

Although I'm having a hard time following their tree.

Comment

Well, they wanted to be able to interactively paint displacement in 3D. That's kind of an unusual ask within Maya and probably better done in an external 3D paint program like Substance Painter. I'm not familiar with the technique they came up with. If you simply want to combine two displacement maps, however, it's not necessary to get as complex as that.

Comment

I got it to work. I now have three displacement maps on one object.

Comment

Working...
                  X