Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACES / OCIO Workflow

Dear Chaosgroup and other Users,

after studying several ACES/OCIO workflow examples (mainly not for vray) i am complete confused how vray next and maya 2019 are proper setup for the ACES 1.0.3 workflow.

Maybe someone is willing to write a quick summary how to set it up right. If one uses Arnold everything is much simpler to setup !

What i have so far:

Vray isn´t compatible to the maya built in Aces Presets so you have to load it manually this way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences-000304.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1049101

Then you manually have to load the same config.ocio into the vray framebuffer:

Name:	V-Ray frame buffer - [100% of 640 x 480]-000305.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1049102

Then the headache begins, FileTexture color spaces:

HDRI: Utility - linear - srgb
    Color Textures: Utility - linear - srgb but only if they are gamma corrected ? Confusing!
    Camera Images / Backplates: Utility-Rec.709-Camera
    Depth/Roughness/Normalmaps ... Utility - RAW

Right ? Not sure!

What else i am missing ?

And this is more a maya related question, if i use OCIO configuration file i can´t setup rules any more even if i uncheck "Use OCIO Input Color Space Rules". If i create new rule i can´t select an input color space cause it is greyed out:

Name:	Preferences-000306.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1049103

So every new filenode gets the colorspace "aces" whatever that means.

Thanks for any advise in this direction!
    Andy

The ACES workflow is currently not supported, however, we are working on its implementation. There will be official support for future V-Ray for Maya releases.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

So why there are all the controls for it in the framebuffer ?
      Last edited by rcm_andy; 26-09-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

For now, it serves only for previewing purposes. As I already mentioned, we are working on a full implementation for rendering in ACES color space.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. When is the implementation expected ?

Comment

+500 for ACES support.
            https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
            Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Hi hermit.crab

I can imagine it is difficult to give a concrete timeframe on when ACES will be fully implemented in Vray for Maya. But is it possible to give an indication of how big a task this is? Do you think this will be in one of the upcoming Vray Next for Maya updates? or is it something that is a more major task?

Also are the plans to run this out through the standard Maya colour management settings(like above?) or will this be a seperate Vray thing?

This question is becoming quiet critical for my studio as we are having more and more requests to work in UHD (streaming services require 4K UHD for example). So this is very high on our wish list.

Thanks

Will

Comment

Originally posted by LL_Will_J View Post
                Hi hermit.crab

I can imagine it is difficult to give a concrete timeframe on when ACES will be fully implemented in Vray for Maya. But is it possible to give an indication of how big a task this is? Do you think this will be in one of the upcoming Vray Next for Maya updates? or is it something that is a more major task?

Also are the plans to run this out through the standard Maya colour management settings(like above?) or will this be a seperate Vray thing?

This question is becoming quiet critical for my studio as we are having more and more requests to work in UHD (streaming services require 4K UHD for example). So this is very high on our wish list.

Thanks

Will
                ACES support is already working internally. After a bit more testing, we plan to implement it in the builds and possibly release it with the next official release.

Comment

Ow wow! this is great news. Looking forward to seeing how much it adds to the look of our renders.

Regards

Will

Comment

Hey, I wanted to switch to ACEScg workflow, and followed the instructions, but all my "old" rules where deleted after the OCIO environment variable was set. The issue is the same here like rcm_andi has years ago.
                    The doc is not as detailed as it could. When I use the OCIO configuration, all texture got the ACEScg input colorspace, but in the doc it was recommended to set normal, displ. etc. to RAW. But all add rules buttons are grey and off.

The really bad hing is, that all "old" rules were deleted. What is now the correct way? I saw a tutorial for 3dsMax vray 5, but I´really confuse now.

Shall I disable the OCIO configuration environment variable? And just add rules for normal, bump, displ, roughness? Shall I set default rules to ACEScg or ACES2065-1 (which was set automaticaly).

THX for help guys
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X