VFB Save image as 16bit png or tif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB Save image as 16bit png or tif

How do i save out an image from the VFB with layer corrections as a 16bit png or tif....ive set the image formats in the rendersettings but they just come out as 8bit?
    e: info@adriandenne.com
    w: www.adriandenne.com

You would need to render with the newly set bit-depth values in the Image Format Options to be able to save images as such through the VFB. In other words, switch the .png and .tiff bit-depth values to 16-bit, render, and then save through the VFB.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

thanks for reply, ok so this could well be me getting confused. But...if i load a 16bit image into the vfb, then save out, even with the png settings set to 16, it saves as 8bit.

The reason why i was trying this was that I used the cloud to render the image, only to find that the vfb corrections dont get applied..so tried loading it back in. Am i correct that the cloud doesnt take vfb corrections into account?

Comment

Then do the following:
        1. Switch the .png and/or .tif formats to 16-bit in an empty scene
        2. Render so that the bit-depth settings are applied to the VFB
        3. Load your image
        4. Save through the VFB

As for the Cloud, the VFB color corrections are supported and should be applied. Best you send a simplified version of the scene and cloud job link to support@chaosgroup.com so we can take a look? Mention this thread in the e-mail along with your V-Ray and host platform versions.

Comment

ok thanks for that, like i said theres everychance its me doing it wrong

Comment

yeah so it was the LUT in my layers that wasnt been baked, thats what confused me.

Comment

I see. LUT baking (save in image) in Chaos Cloud is not yet supported, however, it is on our developers' to-do lists.

Comment

awesome thx for help

Comment

Hi,

so I dont know whats happened, but in 5.2 saving out a png or tif from the vfb, refuses to save out as 16bit, only as 8bit. The png and tif settings are set to 16bit. This is using save current channel.

Comment

Thanks for the report. I've logged it (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-10901).

Comment

I hope this gets fixed asap because presumably now the only way i can get 16bit out is with exr, which i dont use, or batch render.

Comment

could you use "render sequence" and set anim time from 1 to 1 frames. I use this all the time to render multiple render layers, just like a batch render, but can see it rendering in the VFB.
                        Website
                        https://mangobeard.com/
                        Behance
                        https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

ill give that a try for sure, thx bud. Pretty crazy though that this got through testing. Hopefully it will be fixed in a nightly sooner rather than later.

Comment

i just noticed as well that that background doesnt get saved, even with option turned on

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                              i just noticed as well that that background doesnt get saved, even with option turned on
                              This is in regards to .PNGs, right? If yes, it's because the alpha is premultiplied. In 3ds Max, you can disable the saving of the .png's alpha, which bypasses this behavior. I'm not sure if you can in Maya.

Comment

Working...
                              X