Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Stop Rendering with VRay 5 on Linux 2

New to the scene, so the answer is probably obvious:

After starting a batch render in the command line, I am seeing that the frames are rendering correctly and am ready to stop the render and move on to other things but how is this accomplished? Once the render begins, I am unable to enter any commands in the command line, it just sort of overrides my typing.

So, I tried copying the output render information and, by chance, this ends the render... 'Terminating the process because CTRL+C is trapped"... is this the way to go about it?

Any documentation out there for this?

You can't really stop a render that's started from a terminal/cmd. Ctrl+C interrupts the process, so the render won't finish as expected (potentially no images saved and so on).
    If you're rendering an animation and you already have the frames you need written to files, then ctrl+c to terminate the process is sort of OK. When you see "trapped" it will usually exit in some time.

But back to the original question - why do you want to stop the render? Is that a single frame or an animation? Is this with the bucket sampler or progressive (there's a resumable a.k.a. check-pointing feature that may come handy in your case).
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Yes, so in the particular case, I was testing that VRay was working. After I have seen that 1 image out of 200 in a sequence had been rendered and saved, I had no reason to wait for the other 199 images.
      But say that I see an error in the render, I would not want to wait for the entire render to complete. It would be enough to stop the render and fix the error in my scene and render again. The render has no visible frame buffer, since the machines have no GPU. It is with bucket render and am running the render from the command line.

Comment

I see. Well, you can safely ctrl+c the process if you think you don't need it to keep running. Whatever frames are done will be saved (the log prints what frames are done and where the images are saved).
        There's a check-point feature called 'resumable rendering' that might come handy here - for the progressive sampler you can limit the checkpoint by time elapsed - check your frame(s) and let it render more. For the bucket sampler - each bucket is saved as it completes - you can check the finished buckets and then let the frame resume. See if you find it useful for your case. You can read more about it here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...able+Rendering
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X