Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some renders go into "images > tmp" folder - why? Can I change it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some renders go into "images > tmp" folder - why? Can I change it?

Hello,
    I would like to have control over my folder structure and saving locations,
    but some renders (for single frame renderings maybe) go into images > tmp

This is quite confusing, because I have to check 2 directories when re-rendering some frames and also I can't find that preference at the "project window" to change it.

Thanks for help

The tmp folder is where Maya puts images rendered out of the frame buffer. Batch renders go into the images folder. I'm not aware of any way to change this behavior.

Again, this is not a Vray question you should post these to a Maya group or forum.
    Last edited by SonyBoy; 02-02-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Where Vray saves files from the VrayFrameBuffer is not a Vray question?
      If I ask this in a Maya forum they will say, this is not concerning Arnold, ask at the Vray forum
      I‘m not developer, to understand enough, who is writing which part of the codes.
      But thanks for the hint
      I will ask in Maya forum... let‘s see...

Comment

Vray is a render engine that works as a plugin for Maya, but a lot of the basic functionality is controlled by Maya, including things like file and output paths. These will work the same no matter which renderer you use.

Comment

They told me, that there is a history setting of the Vray FrameBuffer... (right there where you can save images in the VFB)
          I will try tomorrow, this sounds promising

Comment

The Vray history folder is independent of the Maya tmp folder and is where Vray will place images saved to history. Maya will still drop any images rendered into the VFB into the tmp folder.

Comment

Once you set project Maya>File>Set project you can specify any location to save your rendered images out of the Frame Buffer.
              Or, Vray render settings Edit> Change Project image directory.
              I've replied to your thread in the Maya forum as well, let us know if that's what you needed.
              Last edited by damaggio; 02-02-2021, 06:32 PM.
              https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Many thanks, I will check it as soon a sequence has finished rendering

Comment

Indeed I can change the VFB output folder in the VFB settings > history.
                  But this is actually good if my saved VrayFrameBuffer images go into a separate folder.

EDIT: I tested out now, that this is not affecting single frames from regular render...
                  They still go into the "tmp" folder

So I'm wondering, why the same process of a regular rendering (I'm not talking about IPR or saving something out from the VFB!) results in different output destinations:
                  When I do a "regular" rendering (which is not IPR, I'm using the rightmost render button with bucket rendering) then it should always follow the folder structure of the "render settings".
                  Currently it makes a difference, if I only check "animation" - or uncheck it in order to get a single frame.
                  So if I rerender single frames from a sequence, they go into the location of the VFB-history, where they do not belong.

This file organization makes no sense to me.
                  Last edited by BeneZ; 05-02-2021, 05:48 AM.

Comment

My workaround is now, to set even single frames on "animation" and "specific frames" and then putting in only the single frame number.

Comment

V-Ray just follows a general Maya logic, which is that renders out of a GUI session go into a "tmp" folder or are suffixed with "_tmp" to distinguish them from batch renders (or sequence renders). There's nothing more to it, and it can't be changed.
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                      X