Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the vraylightmtl clamped?

Hi,
    I am currently rendering a race car on a track and lighting it with a really nice HDRI in the texture slot of a Vray dome light. If I use the dome light for everything, light, reflections, background plate etc. I get some lovely strong, hot reflections on the car wing edge etc. from the HDRI sun. Unfortunately, because the dome light moves with the camera, that is following the car, the reflections, background plate etc. don’t look correct.
    To fix this I decided to use only the light from the dome light and for the reflections etc. I have mapped the HDRI onto some UV mapped dome geometry and applied it with a VrayLightMtl. I then adjusted the multiplier until the general reflections on the car looked about the same brightness.
    The problem I have with this approach is that the lovely hot sun reflections have pretty much gone, they are nowhere near as intense as they are from the dome light!
    My question is, am I missing something in my setup or is the VrayLightMtl clamped with HDRIs?
    I’m using Maya 2020 with Vray NEXT.
    Last edited by jasonazure; 15-03-2021, 02:51 PM.

Why is your dome light moving with the camera, how have you set this up?

Comment

It’s not technically moving with the camera, but the ‘dome’ projection centre is always at the camera location ... if you see what I mean? You can never fly the camera to the edge of a dome light ! This is the reason for the geometry dome workaround.

Comment

Could you strip down the scene (just the two dome lights and some form of reflective geometry) and send it via the contact form (or attach it here) so we can take a look? Address it to me in the subject and include a link to this thread in the message.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X