Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Next scenes with V-Ray 5

Hi all,

I'm midway through a project (which is a silly time to think about updating, I know) and we're looking to upgrade to V-Ray 5 once this project is out of the way. But, I'm hoping to render through RebusFarm as it's fairly hassle-free with its simple upload/download setup straight from Maya. I've been battling errors with Rebus for a few days and its error reporting is telling me that I need to upgrade to the latest version of Vray to be able to render online. If anyone can recommend a cheap, reliable render farm please feel free to throw in ideas - I've got an animation to be rendered out pretty quick, I would look at Chaos Cloud but there isn't a price calculator for it)..
    1. As I've got Maya with V-Ray next scenes ready to send to the render farm, will I have to make any changes to my scene if I upgrade to V-Ray 5 now?
    2. As a backup, I'm able to render via Xestop.com - this works with Vray Next. If RebusFarm still doesn't render with V-Ray 5, can I still use Vray Next if needed or is it gone for good once I upgrade?
    Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by sebbiej; 26-03-2021, 04:51 AM. Reason: Made the questions clearer.

Since using the chaos cloud I would never consider anything else.. How long is your animation in frames, size and content?
    I maybe able to give you a rough estimate..

Comment

That's interesting to know! At most, it'd be 750 1080p frames that take around 35 minutes each. That's using CUDA with an RTX2080ti and a Threadripper 1950X 16-Core processor.

Comment

I just completed a 1000 frame camera animation of a houseboat on water fly around.
        Frame size was 2120x1180px
        Chaos took 30mins to render 100 frames
        The cost in credits varies through the animation but from 20-60 credits per 100 frames.

I always test a 1 second / 25 frames and try and work out how long it would take and I always do it in chunks, just incase I forgot something in the scene.

Comment

Thanks for the info Stezza, much appreciated! That's a good idea to do it in chunks.

A quick bit of maths... 60 credits for 100 frames = £45. £45 * 7.50 for 750 frames = £337.50 for the 750 frames. That's pretty good value, actually! - Although I RebusFarm was estimating about £2k for this render, and Xestop is around £700-£800 so I'd be hesitant to think it'd be so cheap

Comment

As I say always best to do a selection of frames for a more accurate estimate the big plus for me is it that using the cloud is so simple.
            Vray writes out a vrscene, uploads that to render and you then wait and download your files. It also does a file check so subsequent vrscene uploads hardly take any time to upload.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Stezza! Would any of the devs know anything regarding the questions in my original post?

Comment

Originally posted by sebbiej View Post
                Thanks for the help, Stezza! Would any of the devs know anything regarding the questions in my original post?
                I will suggest you to have a look into the Cloud of Chaos as already mentionen from stezza.
                AND THERE IS ANOTHER MOST IMPORTANT THING !

TRY FOR FREE with 20 Credits Chaos Cloud !
                The you can have an exact calculation how much a render will cost for you.

Chaos Cloud put all the information out so you can do a quick calculation how much cost you to render 1 frame.
                It is pretty COOL.

NOTE:
                At the moment Im having some problems, so maybe you will need to try for your self if this runs smooth.
                Chaos Cloud runs also in vRay 4 so no needed to update now to vRay 5.

A couple of infos here:
                https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VMAYA/Chaos+Cloud

Chaos Cloud Supported Features
                https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...orted+Features

I hope this helps.
                DE: ERFINDER des Elektroautos „SION"
                EN: INVENTOR / FOUNDER of the electric vehicle "SION".

Computer #1 (Main) : Windows 10 PRO │ 2xXEON │128 GB │Quadro M4000 │ Quadro K4000 │ MaYa │vRay 5 │Phoenix FD 4 │

Even I have a powerful Computer ... I NEED CHAOS CLOUD !

Comment

Thank you for the response XavBo. I have tried it before, it does work great. However, I'm out of Chaos Cloud points because I've used it before... I'm hesitant to dump a load of money on Chaos Cloud points with my companies money without knowing how much I'm going to be spending on it (especially when Rebus has got 75% off).

I know that Chaos has put up some example scenes with times/costs on them but with the nature of 3D stuff, it's difficult to relate to your own projects when they can vary so much.

It would be more useful for Chaos to provide free watermarked renders of 1-5 frames of scenes so we could get proper estimates.

Anyway, would anyone know anything regarding this in my original post?
                  1. As I've got Maya with V-Ray next scenes ready to send to the render farm, will I have to make any changes to my scene if I upgrade to V-Ray 5 now?
                  2. As a backup, I'm able to render via Xestop.com - this works with Vray Next. If RebusFarm still doesn't render with V-Ray 5, can I still use Vray Next if needed or is it gone for good once I upgrade?

Comment

Thank you for the response XavBo. I have tried it before, it does work great. However, I'm out of Chaos Cloud points because I've used it before... I'm hesitant to dump a load of money on Chaos Cloud points with my companies money without knowing how much I'm going to be spending on it (especially when Rebus has got 75% off).

I know that Chaos has put up some example scenes with times/costs on them but with the nature of 3D stuff, it's difficult to relate to your own projects when they can vary so much.

It would be more useful for Chaos to provide free watermarked renders of 1-5 frames of scenes so we could get proper estimates.

Anyway, would anyone know anything regarding this in my original post?
                    OOOOOOH YES !
                    I know what do you mean.

Your comment is TOTALLY correct.
                    Using their files it is not said that the calculation will be also the same in our files. Even if the size is exactly the same or the configuration is the same. There are other factors to consider and as you said we should be available to create our own tests.

I found your Idea excellent !
                    With 1 to 5 frames Render with a watermark from the CLOUD will be amazing !
                    With this we can also see the performance Chaos offers - against others

The other thing is a list of probably errors. I already ask for that, because at the moment I cant render my scene and I dont know why.
                    I have a n error that says:
                    Error
                    T.some is not a function

What is a T.some. DAMN !

Answers
                    1. Nope ! vRay 5 ist just another interface of the new vRay.
                    Your lights, Shaders, Connections, etc ... should run smooth with vRay 5.
                    I didnt have any problem at all.

This all for all vRay nodes.
                    If you have Substance Connections / Nodes, maybe you will need to check them, but for almost should also work.

2. I will never try tis.
                    The reason for that is that MaYa will write your files and vRay Nodes as a vRay 5 and if you try to GO BACK to vRay 4 maybe you will encountered some errors.
                    NOTE: This is not fault of anyone. This is just that you tell MaYa to write the files in a new version.

However you should still available to GO BACK to vRay 4.

ATTENTION !!!!
                    I not sooo sure about the vRay Sun Light.
                    As I said vRay ask also at the beging when you open a vRay 4 Sun Light if you accept the changes to vRay 5 Sun Light and this is what I meant.
                    You will write a new Ray 5 Version file and for that moment MaYa think that you work with MaYa vRay 5 only.

Hope this helps !

Computer #1 (Main) : Windows 10 PRO │ 2xXEON │128 GB │Quadro M4000 │ Quadro K4000 │ MaYa │vRay 5 │Phoenix FD 4 │

Comment

Originally posted by XavBo View Post

OOOOOOH YES !
                      I know what do you mean.

Your comment is TOTALLY correct.
                      Using their files it is not said that the calculation will be also the same in our files. Even if the size is exactly the same or the configuration is the same. There are other factors to consider and as you said we should be available to create our own tests.

I found your Idea excellent !
                      With 1 to 5 frames Render with a watermark from the CLOUD will be amazing !
                      With this we can also see the performance Chaos offers - against others

The other thing is a list of probably errors. I already ask for that, because at the moment I cant render my scene and I dont know why.
                      I have a n error that says:
                      Error
                      T.some is not a function

What is a T.some. DAMN !

Answers
                      1. Nope ! vRay 5 ist just another interface of the new vRay.
                      Your lights, Shaders, Connections, etc ... should run smooth with vRay 5.
                      I didnt have any problem at all.

This all for all vRay nodes.
                      If you have Substance Connections / Nodes, maybe you will need to check them, but for almost should also work.

2. I will never try tis.
                      The reason for that is that MaYa will write your files and vRay Nodes as a vRay 5 and if you try to GO BACK to vRay 4 maybe you will encountered some errors.
                      NOTE: This is not fault of anyone. This is just that you tell MaYa to write the files in a new version.

However you should still available to GO BACK to vRay 4.

ATTENTION !!!!
                      I not sooo sure about the vRay Sun Light.
                      As I said vRay ask also at the beging when you open a vRay 4 Sun Light if you accept the changes to vRay 5 Sun Light and this is what I meant.
                      You will write a new Ray 5 Version file and for that moment MaYa think that you work with MaYa vRay 5 only.

Hope this helps !

Many thanks for the response! I'm afraid I wouldn't know what your error is regarding though, it's not something I've seen before at all. That makes sense regarding the moving to Vray-5 and going back again... I'd keep a version saved for Vray 4 as a backup. Thanks again, all the best in figuring out that error!

Comment

Many thanks for the response! I'm afraid I wouldn't know what your error is regarding though, it's not something I've seen before at all. That makes sense regarding the moving to Vray-5 and going back again... I'd keep a version saved for Vray 4 as a backup. Thanks again, all the best in figuring out that error!
                        No problem at all !
                        Yes, please keep a vRay 4 Version as a backup

Comment

Soooo... I upgraded to Vray 5, and now I'm getting the following error:

// Warning: line 1: V-Ray : Checking CUDA driver version: 5001: Installed driver version is newer than the latest verified one! //
                          // Error: line 1: V-Ray : Unhandled exception occurred, will exit render loop.

I'll download studio driver 461.09 and try again.
                          Last edited by sebbiej; 26-03-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

No no nOOOOOOOO !!!
                            WAIT !!!

If vRay dected a CUDA that means for me that you have a nVida card.
                            You also mentioned over I think.
                            Im texting you just really fast.

JUST UPDTADE YOUR GRAPHIC CADS DRIVER ABD YOUR DONE !
                            I had the same Problem

Comment

Soooo... I upgraded to Vray 5, and now I'm getting the following error:

// Warning: line 1: V-Ray : Checking CUDA driver version: 5001: Installed driver version is newer than the latest verified one! //
                              // Error: line 1: V-Ray : Unhandled exception occurred, will exit render loop.

I'll download studio driver 461.09 and try again.
                              By updating your drivers could you solve the problem ?

I just solved my problem with the error I had with Chaos Cluod.

If my scene helps you to understand more about - how long takes and how many credits do you need for your particular case, then you can have a look into my video under:
                              https://www.class-a-strak.com/XBO/CH...__UPLOADED.mp4
                              I made an approximation of how many credits and hours take Chaos Cloud to render my scene.

My Scene is actually 241 MBs and I have a heavy car paint shader, etc ... I have in the same time a final Render, but I can use my Computer.
                              The cost will be around 90 € each Beauty Image with all the channels y exported for that.
                              And it will render more or less 5-6 hours. If I did correct the calculation.

This is a small part of the top car paint shader:
                              https://www.class-a-strak.com/XBO/CH...NG_NETWORK.PNG

There is just a funny thing.
                              Instead of getting less time to render - I just get more and more Hours to render and finish the render.
                              This part I didnt get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X