Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aces - confusion - network rendering?

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Aces with maya/vray, but I'm confused. I follow the docs but my image seems incorrect/ overly saturated. https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...Workflow+Setup

These docs say to use Filmic Tonemap or Aces/ or an OCIO (which look TOTALLY different from each other by the way! so wtf?), but what if I am rendering on a farm/network and not using VFB? Do I need to apply something in Nuke/PS to view it properly?

Also, when I enable 'Use OCIO Configuration' in maya -settings -preferences, it gives me this error - 'There are missing color spaces used in the scene that are not defined in the selected transform collection. If you proceed, affected color spaces will not be applied' What does this mean?

Appreciate any help!

Also If I am using Film Tonemap in my VFB should I be on sRGB or Gama 2.2 for display correction?

Comment

Okay so maybe Vray Color Node was my problem.

How can you use Vray Color node with Aces? Currently colors are coming out too saturated. when I make a color swatch in Photoshop and use that as a diffuse texture, it looks right. But when I use that same RGB color in the Vray Color Node, the render is overly saturated.
      In the VrayColor node when you select the color, there is an attribute 'color mixing space' and it is set to Rec709. That appears to be the only option in the 'drop down' and so all i can do is enable or disable color management. Disabling has no effect.

Oh and if I use a gamma node and use .454 .454 .454 my blue turns into a red for some reason, so it appears using gama nodes is not an option with Aces?

To recap currently I have to make color swatches in Photoshop to get color looking right with Aces. How can I use vray color node or gama node like normal in Maya with Aces? I have many colors on this project and making all these textures in Photoshop seems incredibly archaic.

Attached Files

Comment

This thread might be helpful.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

thank you, it was!

So if I unset the OCIO env variable, do I have to then use OCIO display correction? Because currently that looks very wrong lol.
          Here is a pic of my current set up with some stuff im not certain of.
          Attached Files

Comment

For a correct display, you should. This article about the ACES workflow should also be helpful.
            Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

thanks yeah i've been staring at this doc for like hours now
              so was there something in thee settings i just posted that i should change? currently when I change display correction to OCIO it looks very dark and wrong. Also when I take into Photoshop and try and follow the docs I found for that it also looks very wrong. so I think I've set something up wrong or am doing something wrong here.

Comment

attaching a pic here of what ended up working for me, in case it can help anyone else struggling.

rebuilding in photoshop worked using ICC and LUT from the 2nd workflow suggested here https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...s-in-photoshop
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X