Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray 5 and using older settings from previous Vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 and using older settings from previous Vray?

I was using Maya Vray in late 2020 at a decent sized fx facility. It was Vray 4. I could still utilize the local subdiv options that allowed me to set the light samples/subdivs, the shader subdivs for Reflection/Refraction, the DMC settings, individual camera and object samples for motion blur and Dept of Field..
    ....and finally when all that was set properly.. I would be able to bring down Min Max on the Bucket Renderer down to smaller numbers because there was less noise to clean up.

The current Version of Vray looks like it tries to circumvent that process entirely by making everything a Min/Max. The only problem is that I see results that are slower than I am used to getting when I hand tune each item the way I like to see them.

The place I was working at in Oct 2020 were just accepting hour+ long renders when I was able to tune them down to 12-15 minutes for the same render. This was due to rampant misuse of the settings and a complete misunderstanding of why each setting was there to be set.

So I am wondering if there is a way to get under the hood and still set Shader, Light/Shadow, DMC, Mblur, DoF, per object MBlur samples, etc etc in the New Vray 5?

One of the great things about Vray, especially the 3.1 release was the ability to control the minutia to tune a render for speed vs quality to exacting needs.

Is this possible to open up these settings some way in the latest Vray?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Last edited by Intuition; 23-06-2021, 04:43 PM.
    ------
    KC

Sorry to say, the options are no longer available. You may use the "Subdivs multiplier" within the VRayObjectProperties (CPU only) for a certain control over the sampling. The Motion blur samples are still available and can be controlled through the Prepass/Geometry samples (Overrides>Camera).
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Our experience is that users would actually make their render times worse in the vast majority of cases, hence we now recommend to stick to default settings and leave the rest to V-Ray.
      In any case, we would be interested to see why things are rendering slower in V-Ray 5 in your case. If you have such a scene that you are able to share with us, it would be great.
      V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Working...
      X