Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking exported V-Ray Scene files from Maya and rendering those locally on different computers using V-Ray Standalone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking exported V-Ray Scene files from Maya and rendering those locally on different computers using V-Ray Standalone

Hello!

As the title states, I need to take a few Vrscene files and render them on different computers to save render time on single take slow motion footage. However, I don't have the ability to do something like distributed rendering over a network, so rendering locally using V-Ray Standalone is the next best thing I can think of. I understand there is a massive checklist of things I need to do in order to make that possible, but I'm trying to figure all of this out by myself and decided to just ask here instead of getting more frustrated.

I've gone through the documentation for Vrscene files, for V-Ray Standalone, and have researched to the best of my ability but at this point all I get on my own computer when rendering from V-Ray Standalone is for the VFB to run but only output a completely black frame.
    According to the command prompt the Vrscene does get get loaded up, a few of the textures get loaded in (only the height maps but they aren't from the directory of the project, but instead loaded from a duplicate off drive), all the lights are brought in, and it looks like the geometry is using space in memory, but ultimately I'm getting nothing for the final output.

I guess I would just like to know how would I go about doing all of this properly? I understand this is a loaded question, so I'll provide as much information that I can as it's needed.

Thank you in advanced!

So what you're saying is that you see an image in the VRayStandalone VFB, which is saved blank? Does the .vrscene render correctly when imported in Maya (through a .vrscene node)?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Make sure to use the vray.exe that comes with your Maya vray installer. If you try to use the separate V-Ray standalone download from chaos download area you may find incompatibilities.

Not sure if this is your issue but it's kind of a hidden fact that the "standalone" version of vray standalone isn't actually compatible with the DCC versions of vray.
      --=============--
      -DW
      -buck.co
      --=============--

Comment

Not that this necessarily solves your problems when it comes to the actual render itself but is there a reason you are not using a Render Manager? Deadline is free for 10 nodes. This will make your life a lot easier than trying to remote connect to each machine and run command prompt renders yourself manually. Unless when you say you don't have the ability to do distributed rendering you mean because each workstation is not connected to the same network?

Did you export the vrsense files yourself from Maya? Or someone else did and gave them to you?

Comment

Working...
        X