linear color management Vray 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linear color management Vray 5

I can not for the life of me get pure white out of Maya with v-ray and in to After Effects.
    I am assuming it is a color space issue.
    If I just create a plane in my scene and assign a vray material with self illum set to pure white, my assumption is that should render out pure white.
    but what I get to render is about .8 white. Either in the maya viewport or after effects.
    I have the color management setup with the defaults. Should I be doing something else?
    I don't think I had this issue in the previous version of vray.

I think a pixel value of 1 corresponds to around 0.8 preview in ACES. What's your Rendering color space (Render Settings> Color Mapping> Rendering color space) set to? What's the pixel value of the white inside the VFB? Note that the color swatches are also affected by the color management settings - check their mixing color space; the white you've chosen may not be the white you want (you can set the swatch mixing to "Data", which allows you to control the linear pixel values themselves).
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

these are the vfb settings, thanks for the respons.

Comment

Comment

Well, that's the result of ACES. You can confirm this by opening the OCIO config file and setting the color picking role to:
          Code:
           color_picking: ACES - ACEScg
          You'll notice a value of 1 is not perfectly white with an ACES color configuration (if you switch the VFB display correction to sRGB, the white will be bright). Otherwise, a hacky way to get pure white is to set the color swatch to Data and pump the pixel values (as already mentioned), though this will cause issues with i.e Lens effects.
          Attached Files
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I found 2 video lessons that basically answered all my questions about materials and setup with Aces and After Effects. It got me straightened out, maybe it can help someone else too.

Comment

Working...
            X