Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Crytomatte work in non EXR (32 bit) files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Crytomatte work in non EXR (32 bit) files?

Tried using the Cryptomatte render element in After Effects using their Cryptomatte plugin and nothing came in.

Does this mean that I can't use it for a PNG sequence?

If this is true, what are my only other options? Multimatte?

I forgot to mention to that I'm trying to mask out different objects in my render sequence.
    Last edited by hunter_williams; 05-01-2023, 07:42 AM.

Cryptomatte is designed for multi-channeled images. Either of the other matte render elements should work for you.

EDIT:
    Not saying it won't work - it will as an integer-colored image, however, you won't benefit from the mask selection functionality.
    Last edited by hermit.crab; 05-01-2023, 10:38 AM.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I sometimes save out a Cryptomatte from the frame buffer as png and use that in photoshop. or key out in animation in After Effects as png sequence.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm now trying a material wrapper to mask to get the alpha I need.

Any idea of how to get rid of this blackness around my masked layer in AE? I've tried the interpret footage settings (Ignore, Straight, Premultiplied) and no luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	190
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1169423

I rendered out the dome light sky as a separate layer in Maya while making it invisible in the ship render layer.​

Comment

Was the ship render layer's background black? This usually happens when it's not.

Comment

Yeah. I had the dome light marked invisible. So I should render everything and just use a multimatte or Cryptomatte (if doing EXR)?

Edit: I just tried the renderid and Cryptomatte and everything is aliased (jagged) how do I get around that if I want to use these in After Effects?
            Last edited by hunter_williams; 05-01-2023, 11:18 AM.

Comment

So I tried Cryptomatte and saved a test image out as an EXR and I can't extract a semi-transparent object (some Phoenix FD smoke).

Any ideas why this is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter_williams View Post
                Yeah. I had the dome light marked invisible. So I should render everything and just use a multimatte or Cryptomatte (if doing EXR)?
                Simply adding a VRayCryptomatte, rendering, and saving to a multi-channeled image format should do the trick.

I just tried the renderid and Cryptomatte and everything is aliased (jagged) how do I get around that if I want to use these in After Effects?
                There is no antialiasing with the Render ID Render Element.

So I tried Cryptomatte and saved a test image out as an EXR and I can't extract a semi-transparent object (some Phoenix FD smoke).
                Are you rendering with V-Ray GPU? Because it's not yet supported. Check all the supported elements here.

Comment

I'm rendering with CPU and bucket.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm now trying a material wrapper to mask to get the alpha I need.

Any idea of how to get rid of this blackness around my masked layer in AE? I've tried the interpret footage settings (Ignore, Straight, Premultiplied) and no luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	190
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1169423

I rendered out the dome light sky as a separate layer in Maya while making it invisible in the ship render layer.​
                    The black issue around the object can be many things. Do you mind posting the multi-exr you rendered here so I can take a look, 1 frame is enough. It can be an issue of premultiplciation. If you have an option to unpremultiply the mask in the cryptomatte selector, then try that.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It's because I was rendering out my shot with the Sky Dome set to invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by stezza View Post
                        I sometimes save out a Cryptomatte from the frame buffer as png and use that in photoshop. or key out in animation in After Effects as png sequence.
                        How do you save out a Cryptomatte mask as PNG?
                        Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                        AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Sorry I meant jpg

Comment

Either way, how do you do this?
                            Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

To help in photoshop comps I save out from the frame buffer the crytptomatte as jpg
                              Select cryptomatte in the drop down list in the VFB save as jpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X