VrayHairNexyMtl material flickering in renders even on the same frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayHairNexyMtl material flickering in renders even on the same frame

I'm having a very simple problem, don't know if this is how VrayHairNextMtl always worked, but when applying the material to the description of an XGen hair system the renders are always different in appearance even on the same frame.
    When rendering an animation, this results in a flickering look.

I have reproduced this in a simple scene, creating a sphere > applying a xgen description to it > applying VrayHairNextMtl > render. This results in the same problem when rendering

I am not using distributed rendering or batch, also I have disabled all modifiers for the hair, started from scratch with a sample scene, increasing subdivs significantly, disabled GI.

Here is an example of the scene I am working on when animated (same result even if the camera is still, or even rendering the same frame)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/96dsr3rjdj7c8fp/ref1.mp4?dl=0

Here is the problem with the shader producing different results when rendering the same frame on a very simple scene setup.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lks1o6eeh...48-32.mp4?dl=0

Another test using a the auburn preset, no GI rendering with IPR in viewport - there is no change in appearance when using IPR, but there are strange streaks across the hairs.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqaqwy191ovucaj/2023-01-11%2013-22-50.mp4?dl=0

Maya version is 2022.4, Vray version is 6, tried with hotfix 1 and V-ray 6 (no hotfix)

Any help would be appreciated.

-UPDATE-
    - I got a colleague to use Maya 2022 with no update and V-ray 5 (2.1) and the problem is not reproduced (rendering the same frame does not produce flickering)
    - I tried Maya 2020 with V-ray 5 (2.1) and the problem is not reproduced.
    - I tried Maya 2023.3 and the same problem is there.

From what I can gather, it seems likely that it's a problem with V-ray 6.

-UPDATE 2-
    I've narrowed down the problem to the Glint settings in the hair material. If these are all set to 0, there is minimal change between frames.
    It seems that randomization parameters also cause flickering when enabled.
    Last edited by takehito_iizuka; 11-01-2023, 01:06 AM.

The problem still exists, it seems like a bug at this moment using glint and randomization parameters using the VrayHairNext Material on newer versions of V-ray.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the report. The issue is reproducible - it seems the glint is randomized for each frame, which should not happen, I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-11807) for developer investigation.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

This is now fixed in our internal builds and will be included in the next official update to V-Ray 6 for Maya.

Comment

Working...
        X