Using an LOD group in V-Ray Proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an LOD group in V-Ray Proxy

So I want to create a big field of wheat using V-Ray proxy and MASH to distribute them. Does anyone know if level of detail (LOD) meshes work so I can less dense meshes show up farther away and more dense meshes show up closer to the camera?

So far I've tried importing two LOD meshes, converting each one to a V-Ray proxy and then attaching them to MASH but no luck.

Basically I'm trying to find a way to render faster a lot of V-Ray proxies and thought using an LOD system might help.

OR

Does anyone have another way to achieve this?
    Last edited by hunter_williams; 20-02-2023, 02:21 PM.

HI, could you explain you workflow in a little more details. How do you implement V-Ray Proxy in it?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Create MASH system with the high proxy at the front with a visibility node to have a fall off towards the back.
      Duplicate that MASH network and replace with low proxy and invert the fall off so they appear at the back.

Comment

HI i did a little testing on this topic. It turns out MASH works with VRayProxy only in Instancer mode:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	maya_2023-03-08_15-40-21.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1175003
        Mesh mode is not supported with VRayProxy.

Name:	maya_2023-03-08_15-45-37.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1175004

In instancer mode I do not see any LOD settings. So as stezza suggested we could use a gradient mask:

Name:	maya_2023-03-08_15-41-49.gif
Views:	196
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1175005

As we can see in the gif it cuts off the instances depending on the range.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Here you could have a blend by using the offset -1 scale with falloff object.
          Red being high res and blue being low, though it is camera specific, no good for a fly over.

Name:	Clipboard Image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1175014

I'm pretty sure VRay scatter will be with us very soon!!!! This option could go on the wish list?
          Any idea of when the beta will be available to test?

Comment

Hey thanks for giving that a try guys.

Comment

Working...
            X