OSL parallax help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSL parallax help

Ive been trying to find a tutorial for setting up osl shader network with vray maya, with no such luck.

Does anyone have a process for settings up a shading network using osl files.

Ive found a few tutorials with 3dsmax and vray but it's not translating as easy as I was hoping. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a Maya version on the internet. My colleague found it and made it work. We are using it in our studio a lot.
    Please let me know if you allready got it working. Otherwise i can ask him.

Comment

I still haven't gotten it to work. Any help would be great!

Comment

I think you can find it all here: http://julius-ihle.de/?p=2451

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1176123
          Maybe too late, but just in case: Use the OSLTex node, plug the OSL shader in here, then update the shader settings on the OSLTex node. Plug whatever texture you may want to use into the viewport and input tex (somehow that connection does not get mapped in the screenshot but it is there) and then use the texture on a lightmaterial presumably.
          Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of which: I do think that the OSL tex nodes do not render distributed in the sense that all remote nodes render them black. Could someone confirm this real quick? In that case I will log a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by k_18 View Post
              Speaking of which: I do think that the OSL tex nodes do not render distributed in the sense that all remote nodes render them black. Could someone confirm this real quick? In that case I will log a bug.
              Yes, it doesn't seem to render with Maya Batch. I'll troubleshoot a bit and report back.

EDIT: Pardon, it does work (forgot to put the image file to a network drive). I used Deadline for the test. What's happening on your end? Any warning messages?
              Last edited by hermit.crab; 24-03-2023, 06:15 AM.
              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post

Yes, it doesn't seem to render with Maya Batch. I'll troubleshoot a bit and report back.

EDIT: Pardon, it does work (forgot to put the image file to a network drive). I used Deadline for the test. What's happening on your end? Any warning messages?
                Thanks for getting back to me Aleks - will check if that was also the issue on our end.

Comment

Ok, we did a test with the shader set up as above and both the OSL shader as well as the texture available to all nodes on the network. When rendering distributed the shader comes back black. We not running the newest VRay built, but with v6.00.03, revision 31719 from Nov 5 2022 this seems definitely to be a bug.

Comment

Just tested with the latest official version (v6.00.03 from Dec 6, 2022) and it seems to work fine. Are you using a render manager? Or you are working with the Distributed Rendering settings? is the "Transfer missing assets" option active?
                    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Aleksandar. No render manager, only distributed tested so far. Yes, the transfer missing assets option is checked. Will try to update to the latest nightlies on one machine and report back.

Comment

Working...
                      X