Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay VFB != Fusion composition

Hi all,
    I would like to clarify once and for all why the images I get from VRay/Maya into Fusion do NOT look like those in the VRay VFB. My setup:
    When rendering from Maya I am rendering to multichannel EXRs. The rendering space is defined by Maya (as AcesCG @ 32bit float). So far so good. So in my mind what we SHOULD be getting is a 32bit float image in AcesCG colour space. When I load this into fusion I set the file read node to 32bit depth (or auto), then apply an OCIA color transform after the file read and use Maya's OCIO config. Settings are pretty much the reverse, ie.: input color space is AcesCG, display color space set to scene linear and the ViewLUT is set to transform to SRGB. The image, however, does NOT look the same. What am I doing wrong here?? It is driving me nuts...

On the After effects side of things - in its latest incarnation, where Adobe AGAIN swapped all kinds of stuff around - I get much closer, but cannot render it out correctly: I load the EXR sequence and interpret the footage as scene linear/acesCG. In the composition, I set the working space to be the same, ie. scene linear/acesCG using Autodesk OCIO config. And finally, when I set the view LUT to sRGB/aces 1.0 SDR Video it does, indeed, display the same as in VRays VFB inside of Maya. I cannot for the life of it, however, have it EXPORT using the same damn color space transform, so my export looks crooked.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong here in either setup? It should not be this hard to get an identical image to that of the VFB after rendering an EXR sequence. What am I doing wrong here?

Maybe the Fusion/AfterEffects' internal color management is also in effect?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Not sure about Fusion, because it should be pretty straight forward (unlike After Effects, which actually tries to color correct everything you throw at it and their mums).

When it comes to After Effects final export/output, you will need to change the Output Color Space in the Output Module Settings, from ACESg (or whatever you set your Comp color space) to "color_picking: Output - sRGB" (or any output sRGB).

Here is the reason why After Effects cannot, and will never export what you see in the Comp view on a file

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	93
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1184603

And this is the setting you want to change, in order to force After Effects to do what you want

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	77
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1184604

You can reach the above screen by clicking on the "Output Module" description from the previous screenshot.

I know, it's a pain in the behind, but I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X