No announcement yet.

V-Ray Standalone latest version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these issues happened after the update.
    Are you having issues on local render with the latest update? It is not impossible that you have something in the scene that hits a bug in the new version and does not in the old version.
    But we need to narrow down the possible scenarios.
    1 - are you having issues on a local render with the latest version
    2 - if you are having issues on local render, test with simple scene, if the simple scene is ok lets review the production scene
    3 - if the issues are only with distributed, again - simple scene and if it is ok we have to look into the production scene
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Vladimir,

I ran the test with a basic scene.

Unfortunately the issue is still there, as you can see from the picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	186
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1184875

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post

Are you having issues on local render with the latest update? It is not impossible that you have something in the scene that hits a bug in the new version and does not in the old version.
        But we need to narrow down the possible scenarios.
        1 - are you having issues on a local render with the latest version
        2 - if you are having issues on local render, test with simple scene, if the simple scene is ok lets review the production scene
        3 - if the issues are only with distributed, again - simple scene and if it is ok we have to look into the production scene
        1 - Yes, we are having issues locally as well.
        2 - Testing that right now, I'll let you know.
        3 - The simple scene with distributed has the issues.

Comment

Tested 49 frames with the simple scene. No issues locally with this one.

We are now about to test the nightly build of standalone that you suggested earlier.

Comment

Ok, the new nightly build of Standalone didn't make any difference. black/empty buckets are still there, and also misplaced pieces of geometry are too.

Rolling back to V-Ray 6 at this point.

Comment

Hi, could you send the scene from post #17 to the support so we can review it? Don't forget to collect and send all of the used assets (textures, proxies, hdri maps) together with the scene file. Please include a link to this tread in your message so we can track you issue faster.
              Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
                Hi, could you send the scene from post #17 to the support so we can review it? Don't forget to collect and send all of the used assets (textures, proxies, hdri maps) together with the scene file. Please include a link to this tread in your message so we can track you issue faster.
                Hi Vladimir,

Unfortunately that scene has been deleted, because it was just a temporary test scene.

Though, it really was just a big polyPlane (I think it was 5000 units (cm), with a bunch of primitives (polyCube, polyCylinder and polySphere), all with a different vrayMtl with different presets (literally presets from the preset menu in the attribute editor). Architectural Glass with a bit of tint, Chrome with some roughness (should be around 0.35) and black rubber for the floor (slightly reflective).

The illumination system was a vray Sun + vray Sky. In the sun shape I activated the clouds. That's it. No textures or other assets used.

The objects were in a group with the pivot in the center of the grid, and then animated to perform a 360 degrees spin.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Comment

V-Ray Standalone is included in the V-Ray for Maya builds. It's best to use the Standalone that comes with Maya, as it will be exactly the same version.
                  We are working on sorting out the whole thing with the separate Standalone installation, but it may take us some time. For now, the safest way to use Maya and Standalone is to use the one that comes with V-Ray for Maya.

In the regular installer, there's an option to install 'standalone only' if you take the 'advanced' route of the installer.
                  You can also do this by choosing the INSTALL_TYPE for a silent install. https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...+and+Uninstall
                  And for the portable version, you just need to unpack the files and set up a few things, see here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...-RayStandalone
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

For the other issues, it looks like missing assets, or if that's not the case - it could be a bug that we need to address. As far as I understand, you've rolled back the version to solve this. We'll work with support to try and replicate it, any help is more than welcome - if this happens again, do let us know.
                    Alex Yolov
                    Product Manager
                    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                    www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                      V-Ray Standalone is included in the V-Ray for Maya builds. It's best to use the Standalone that comes with Maya, as it will be exactly the same version.
                      We are working on sorting out the whole thing with the separate Standalone installation, but it may take us some time. For now, the safest way to use Maya and Standalone is to use the one that comes with V-Ray for Maya.

In the regular installer, there's an option to install 'standalone only' if you take the 'advanced' route of the installer.
                      You can also do this by choosing the INSTALL_TYPE for a silent install. https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...+and+Uninstall
                      And for the portable version, you just need to unpack the files and set up a few things, see here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAYA...-RayStandalone
                      Unfortunately the latest version of V-Ray for Maya has huge issues regardless.

Using the standalone that comes with it does not make any difference, as well as using the latest nightly.
                      We tested all of them in all conditions and situations.

As we speak, the latest version of V-Ray for maya is note ready for production.

we had to roll back to the basic V6, which fixed every issue and allowed us to deliver the job almost in time.

I think you guys should really test the product better, not just for basic tasks or local rendering. Also, the discrepancy between client and standalone shouldn't even be a thing. That is a clear case of oversight mistake.

Hopefully the next update will be good, and we will be able to take advantage of the features that we wanted to use for our current production (such as Chaos Scatter) without all the problems that affected the latest release.

Thank you for your help and support!

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                        For the other issues, it looks like missing assets, or if that's not the case - it could be a bug that we need to address. As far as I understand, you've rolled back the version to solve this. We'll work with support to try and replicate it, any help is more than welcome - if this happens again, do let us know.
                        As I stated before, that was not the issue.

The latest version of V-Ray for Maya is just affected by quite few serious bugs.

Comment

Hi!

We have tried to reproduce the gray bucket bug, but we haven't succeeded so far.
                          We'll need some help from your side to narrow it down, so we have some questions:

1. Is the issue reproducible without DR?
                          2. If you're using DR, is the issue reproducible when using V-Ray server from the same V-Ray for Maya installer (i.e. exactly matching build)?
                          5. If you're using DR, are both the client and server running on Windows?
                          4. Is the issue reproducible in single frame rendering, or does it appear in animation only?
                          5. Do you have logs from the V-Ray render server (the console log of the remote machine)?

We would appreciate if you can answer these question, so we can find the problem more quickly. Also, any logs or scene files that you can send us would be help too.

V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Originally posted by Mihail.Djurev View Post
                            Hi!

We have tried to reproduce the gray bucket bug, but we haven't succeeded so far.
                            We'll need some help from your side to narrow it down, so we have some questions:

1. Is the issue reproducible without DR?
                            2. If you're using DR, is the issue reproducible when using V-Ray server from the same V-Ray for Maya installer (i.e. exactly matching build)?
                            5. If you're using DR, are both the client and server running on Windows?
                            4. Is the issue reproducible in single frame rendering, or does it appear in animation only?
                            5. Do you have logs from the V-Ray render server (the console log of the remote machine)?

We would appreciate if you can answer these question, so we can find the problem more quickly. Also, any logs or scene files that you can send us would be help too.
                            Hi Mihail,

I'll try to answer the questions in order, and as best as I can.

1. Yes, it is reproducible without DR. In fact, I did reproduce it multiple times, and posted the results in this thread as well.
                            2. Yes, it is, even when using the V-Ray server from the same V-Ray for Maya installer, and despite the inconsistency of version between V-Ray client and V-Ray Standalone (which comes with the same installer).
                            3. Yes, both client and server are running on Windows. Though, I am not 100% sure if the Windows version on the render nodes is 11, like the one installed on our workstations (if that makes any difference at all).
                            4. It is reproducible in single frames, but randomly and not systematically. I would say that the issue appears predominantly in animation (I would go as far as, say, 99% of the times).
                            5. I need to ask our IT department for that. Though, I think we do have some of those logs, as we were reading them while trying to understand where the issue was coming from.

As I said earlier in this thread, the test scene I put together has been deleted after the tests. Also we no longer have V-Ray 6 update 1 for Maya installed, because we had to urgently roll back to V-Ray 6, base version, in order for us to deliver the work in time.
                            To help you a little bit better, I have described the test scene in this thread. It's a very simple scene.
                            Here it is:

Big polyPlane (I think it was 5000 units (cm), with three primitives (polyCube, polyCylinder and polySphere), all with a different vrayMtl with different presets (presets from the preset menu in the attribute editor). Architectural Glass with a bit of tint, Chrome with some roughness (should be around 0.35) and black rubber for the floor (slightly reflective).

The illumination system was a vray Sun + vray Sky. In the sun shape I activated the clouds. That's it. No textures or other assets used.

The objects were in a group with the pivot in the center of the grid, and then animated to perform a 360 degrees spin.​ Animation range was from 1 to 250, if I remember correctly.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mauro
                            Last edited by MannaTheBerserk; 17-07-2023, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Mauro!

This helps rule out some of our suspicions. We'll get back to you when we have something.
                              V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Originally posted by Mihail.Djurev View Post
                                Thanks, Mauro!

This helps rule out some of our suspicions. We'll get back to you when we have something.
                                Thanks Mihail,

Also, I forgot to mention that we are on Maya 2023.3.

Comment

Working...
                                X