Demystifying ACES/Linear/sRGB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demystifying ACES/Linear/sRGB

I finally decided to enable Color Management in Maya 2022, because I hate myself. It was way too easy painting textures in Photoshop and then rendering them and having them look the same.

I'm already sold on the benefits of a linear and ACES workflow, and I'm using the default Color Management preset in Maya 2022, but I could use a tip on how to make my textures, painted in sRGB in Photoshop, survive the translation to render. Even if I set sRGB as the Color Space for a texture's file texture node, the swatch, and the resulting render are too dark/saturated. I don't understand why. The Color Transform Preferences make sense to me: Its Rendering Space is ACEScg, the View is ACES 1.0 SDR-video, and the Display is sRGB. So far so good. I've also told it that the incoming texture is sRGB. But what comes out on the other end doesn't match the input.

Incidentally, the VFB is set to OCIO. So Maya's viewport, texture swatch, and the VFB all look the same, it's just that none of my textures look the way I painted them. Where am I tripping up?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	151
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1185637
    Is your input color space set to ACEScg ?

Comment

I'm on Maya 2022 and this is my dialog box
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep that looks fine but what about your VFB ? what is it set to? Make sure it is the same as my pic above

Comment

Yes my settings are the same.

FWIW, adding a colorcorrect node and changing the gamma to 1.4 seems to get results pretty close to what I'm actually feeding it.
          Last edited by mike_verta; 08-07-2023, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X