Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have a good idea how to create dirty glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a good idea how to create dirty glass?

I've tried looking through as many youtibe tutorials as I can and can't seem to be able to find a good way to create a dirty glass that looks like this. I've tried using custom maps for the refraction glossiness but it just doesnt look right and very hard to control. anyone have any ideas?Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	130
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	1188402
    Attached Files

You could map opacity with a suitable grunge map, mixed with a radial gradient with some noise in that gradient.
    That on a plane which is offset slightly from each glass piece gets something like the attached result.
    Attached Files
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

A map on the reflection roughness should be all you need to achieve this kind of effect. Combine that map with some color variation and/or to drive a dirt layer and it should get you there. Although technically it's possible to map refraction roughness, I've never found this to be practically useful. SFAIK, refractivity is not a volumetric calculation, so there's no point trying to use something like a 3D texture either which would in any case be extremely expensive to render.

Comment

Hi, for a better final result you may want to combine a few things. The reflection/refraction of the base material (the glass) is the first step. On top of that it would be nice to have the dirt/grease as separate layers in a VRayBlendMtl for instance.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X