Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya USD 0.24 support now in nightlies

Hi everyone,

We've added support for MayaUSD 0.24 in the latest V-Ray for Maya 2023 and 2024 stable 6.1 nightlies.
    You can find it in build 32221 from 17.08.2023 and later (https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/merlin/stable/stable_6.1/20230817).
    Svetlana Gesheva
    QA, V-Ray for Maya
    chaos

Hi Svetlana

I just tried to render something using USD .024 and is not working - Maya 2024.1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hsz; 25-08-2023, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I just tried on the latest as well nightly 32235 and still does not work
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi hsz​,
        Can you tell me more about your setup so we can investigate? Here or you can open a ticket trough our support contact form​. Needless to say it's working on our end with those builds.

What OS and V-Ray installation type is that - installed or portable/zip?
        In any case, with the new nightlies there should be a /maya_vray/translators/vraytr_usd_translator024.dll (.so) in it - do you see it?
        When you load the MayaUSD plugin in the Script Editor in Maya should be printed what USD provider has been started depending on your USD version - e.g. "// V-Ray : Initialized Maya USD provider maya024".
        What MayaUSD installation do you use - the one from Autodesk's github or a custom built one?
        Svetlana Gesheva
        QA, V-Ray for Maya
        chaos

Comment

Hi Svetlana,

Win11 - I use .zip version, grabbing the .exe and using the -unpackinstall command. I always installed Vray this way

Yes is the one provided by AD GitHub site
          https://github.com/Autodesk/maya-usd...es/tag/v0.24.0

I do see the translator

Attached Files

Comment

Ok just to give you an update. we figured out what happened. There were some files left from an old installation of Vray 6 for M 2024. I guess it was not uninstalled properly. After we got rid of those files, now everything is working correctly.

Out of curiosity where is this on the list of priorities? why we can not use primvars to drive color for example and no MB yet?

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...no-motion-blur

This was asked more than a year ago and nothing on this front yet as far as I can tell. Thanks

Comment

Glad to hear you figured that out and USD 0.24 is now working for you too.

As for the usd point instancer thread, can you share an example scene there? From my tests there is some progress since the original issue was logged and point instancers were not rendered at all, but I'm not sure it covers your use case yet.
              Svetlana Gesheva
              QA, V-Ray for Maya
              chaos

Comment

You can grab the scene shared on the first post, is the same thing.

Here is the difference 2 screenshots. You can also see how the USD is generating time samples on the properties.

If I take this scene and save it as USD, load it into Houdini this works fine there as well.

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the additional examples, much appreciated. They helped me realise I was missing a crucial Bifrost compound used in the shared scene.
                  While I can't promise a date yet, a developer was assigned with the issue and its goal has been refined.
                  Svetlana Gesheva
                  QA, V-Ray for Maya
                  chaos

Comment

Thanks, as you can see on the Vray side nothing works, the xform does not, color does not, and motion blur.

Comment

Working...
                    X