Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert VRayBitmaps to standard Maya nodes (or how to export the texture filenames to FBX without VRay for Maya)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert VRayBitmaps to standard Maya nodes (or how to export the texture filenames to FBX without VRay for Maya)

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a Max user, not a Maya user.

We have a modeler trying to get us some files via FBX (to load into Max).

They files are currently loaded into Maya, and they have VRay texturemaps (I guess that is VRayBitmap like in Max??)

The modeller doe snot use VRay. Is there some easy (script) way that he can convert the texture filenames from the VRay shaders into something that would export the texturemap filenames into the FBX? We don't need all the Material settings, just the basic texture maps.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

In Maya, there's no specific V-Ray texture node - the native "File" node is what is used to load textures. From what I tested (by exporting .fbx), the texture nodes are missing one exports an unsupported shader (i.e. VRayMtl). A standard Maya lambert shader plugged with a texture is correctly exported and later loaded in 3ds max with the shading network intact. If your modeler does not use V-Ray, how is the shading network of the object structured prior to export?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

He said he could see some attribute that listed the texture file path, but he didn't have VRay to see the actual VRayMtl. He said he ended up installing the demo of VRay and then converted them to Lambert for export.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
        He said he ended up installing the demo of VRay and then converted them to Lambert for export.
        Good thinking.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X