Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera over scan not respected in AE

Hi folks.
    Im having an issue with using camera overscan.
    I have 50px extra on left and right side.
    rendering out the exr sequence it comes out at 1180x1080 as you'd expect.
    BUT when I bring it into After effects it only reads 1080x1080 no matter how I bring the footage in. even retain layer size selected, it still comes in at 1080x1080 square.

How do I get it into AE with the correct size?
    I cant just scale to fit comp as the imported image sequence only show whats in a 1080x1080 square and not the extra 50 px which you can see in photoshop if you open one.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by stezza; 14-03-2024, 12:56 PM.

There's another thread about this somewhere. After Effects is dumb when it comes to overscans, not like Nuke. Unfortunately I can't recall the details or whether there is a solution... I *think* that possibly a workaround is to render the overscan using camera settings and not the Vray overscan features. I believe it's the "camera scale" setting at the very top of the cam attrs. and results in a wider frustum without those pixels being encoded as "overscan". I'd have to test to be sure but maybe have a look at that. It's a hack though as you then will have to import the footage at the overscan resolution and mess about in AE.

Comment

I managed to find that thread but no solution apart from re rendering as png or use media encoder to create quicktime 444 - Im shocked that this is the case. We often use overscan so that the designers have some wiggle room for when it comes to text placement. I just havent used overscan for animations before.

Comment

I'm shocked that you're shocked . Adobe has never, ever been CG friendly. You still can't even just read an alpha channel in Photoshop.

Comment

Working...
        X