Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• batch rende licencies

if I am correct I can use 10 PC for batchrender with one license
    dose it mean "distributed render" or cmdline render/batchrender ?

comparing to 3dsmax is one license = 1 workstation+10DR nodes but UNLIMITED for backburner
    the same for mental ray = 1max lic. = 1 workstation +8 DR CPU but UNLIMITED for backburner

how about in maya ?
    do I need 10 dongle to batchrender an animation on 100 PC (using Deadline, Smedge or any other rendermanager)?

yes I am a bit unclear in this area aswell.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Vlado is around but not reply ...

Comment

You don't need 10 dongles; a single dongle can be reprogrammed to contain any number of licenses. They can even be written on the dongle that you already have for V-Ray for 3ds Max.

When you purchase V-Ray for Maya, you get one license for rendering inside an interactive Maya session, 10 network licenses that you can use for either Maya batch rendering or V-Ray standalone rendering, and 10 licenses for DR rendering. Additional licenses for DR and standalone/batch rendering can be purchased separately without paying for a full version of V-Ray for Maya. You can get more details if you email us to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hi vlado

the problem is not the Dongle itselve

what is the reason to limit the batchrender to 10 per lic. ?
          same software, same support, less development (imo) = higher price per node?

get Chaos greedy

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeMarine1 View Post
            if I am correct I can use 10 PC for batchrender with one license
            dose it mean "distributed render" or cmdline render/batchrender ?

comparing to 3dsmax is one license = 1 workstation+10DR nodes but UNLIMITED for backburner
            the same for mental ray = 1max lic. = 1 workstation +8 DR CPU but UNLIMITED for backburner

how about in maya ?
            do I need 10 dongle to batchrender an animation on 100 PC (using Deadline, Smedge or any other rendermanager)?
            Keep in mind that Maya does not really work that way. You have to pay for every license you render with in Maya. Same with MR. Only now in Maya 2010 is autodesk offering 5 render licenses of MR with every Maya license. Vray is offering twice that.

IMHO, Maya people require a lot more support and have a lot bigger renderfarms, so forcing to pay a bit more for rendernodes helps with their support cost.

[EDIT]... you don't need 10 dongles. One dongle can hold a multiple licenses. My dongle was reprogrammed to hold different licenses by chaos. The process is pretty easy. You send them a file generated by the Wibu driver, an they send you a new file to reprogram your dongle.
            Last edited by cpnichols; 24-08-2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Hello, I'm not a Maya user anymore but I've got one question about licensing...

Why buying a single standalone license (249€)? A vray4maya license offers 10 (749€) !

Strange way of thinking... IMHO....

PS: Is-it for blender users ?
              My Flickr

Comment

I'm a little confused as well. So buying an additional stand alone license gives you what? An additional 10 computers? And that works with batch mode?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman View Post
                  I'm a little confused as well. So buying an additional stand alone license gives you what? An additional 10 computers? And that works with batch mode?
                  I am not positive about this either... but I have always done all my renders in Vray standalone, and not in Batch. The reason being... it is faster, saves you from having the Maya overhead, and you don't need to have a Maya license for every rendernode running in batch.

And basically you have the same deal with MR standalone for Maya, right? You get 5 free licenses with Maya, and you have to buy any additional ones.

Comment

thanks for the info. I'm finally breaking down and learning maya some these days, and about to pull the trigger on vray for maya, but still trying to figure out the differences. For instance, I'm really not even sure what maya batch mode is. Time to crack the help file I suppose.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols View Post
                      I am not positive about this either... but I have always done all my renders in Vray standalone, and not in Batch. The reason being... it is faster, saves you from having the Maya overhead, and you don't need to have a Maya license for every rendernode running in batch.

And basically you have the same deal with MR standalone for Maya, right? You get 5 free licenses with Maya, and you have to buy any additional ones.
                      exporting all to standalone can take longer then all the render process - it also produce massive data the LAN must handle
                      try to export a 500 frame 6mio poligon character anim. to MR stand alone ...

the deal with MR in Maya is the same, correct - but I see no reason to do the same for Vray
                      it is unfair comparing to 3ds, Cinema, Blender, Rhino and Sketchup Vray users

Comment

I think its fair. You gotta keep in mind that they have to compete with other renderers. Financially it makes sense.

Percy, mayabatch mode is basically a form of rendering in maya without using maya UI. Since maya never had network rendering of any kind like backburner, this is a way for maya to render.
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeMarine1 View Post
                          exporting all to standalone can take longer then all the render process - it also produce massive data the LAN must handle
                          try to export a 500 frame 6mio poligon character anim. to MR stand alone ...

the deal with MR in Maya is the same, correct - but I see no reason to do the same for Vray
                          it is unfair comparing to 3ds, Cinema, Blender, Rhino and Sketchup Vray users
                          We do it all the time... Even with massive scenes the process is not that bad at all. Also, for really big models, we use VayProxy.

The way we did it at my old company is to have a single computer dump out vrscene files of every layer for the whole framerange on the farm, then setoff the actual renders as a dependency. Works great!

I even saw a massive scene with 75 render layer and 200+ frames and millions of polys get all translated and ready to go in something like 30 on a single machine. Of course you could divide that task and only do one frame per machine, which also works. Vray standalone is definitely the way to go.

just type vray -scenefile="myawesomescene.vrscene" and the buckets start dropping pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                            I think its fair. You gotta keep in mind that they have to compete with other renderers. Financially it makes sense.

Percy, mayabatch mode is basically a form of rendering in maya without using maya UI. Since maya never had network rendering of any kind like backburner, this is a way for maya to render.
                            Cool. Just purchased vray for maya today. Woot! Loving maya so far, though I am super noob. Working with demo right now. I guess I should have asked, there isn't a problem with running vray for maya and the maya ple?

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman View Post
                              Cool. Just purchased vray for maya today. Woot! Loving maya so far, though I am super noob. Working with demo right now. I guess I should have asked, there isn't a problem with running vray for maya and the maya ple?
                              I love it... buying a rendering license for a PLE... someone really loves rendering

Comment

Working...
                              X