Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• import materials from Vray for Max

Hi!
    I hope this wasn't discussed a lot of times, but somehow, I did not find anything about it:
    A friend of mine uses Vray for Max. Because there are a lot more materials for Max out there, is there any possibility for us that he export the scene and I can import all the vray-materials or even vray-lights in Maya? That would be really cool! Would that also work for large scenes as these great ones from evermotion? That would help a lot.

Thanks,
    Michael

Create > V-Ray > Import V-Ray material from file.

Tell your friend to export out of max as a .vrscene file.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

Thanks we'll try that out. But when we want to do that with a complete scene, how does it work? Do we export in FBX and then assign the VRAY-materials on the objects or could I also import a complete vrscene into Maya?

Comment

I'm not too sure about importing a whole .vrscene file into Maya, I don't know if it works like this, you could try it and let us know but I'm not so sure....however it looks like you can import multiple materials at once in Maya via the method I mentioned.

I guess the best way would be to write a maxscript to batch export all your materials then pick them up in Maya. FBX format is pretty good at transfering between Max and Maya but I think you'll find it'll convert the materials to phongs or blinns or whatever Max uses for default. I think that would be your best bet.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

I think i'm going to do some research here as well...but i am also interested in the other way around, cause i like VRayRT for Max very much

Does anyone here use RT at the moment?
          @chaosgroup: Will there be a beta for VRayRT for Maya soon??!??!

cheers
          Oli
          OLIVER MARKOWSKI - Head of 3D at RISE | Visual Effects Studios

Comment

found something...

As I experimented a lot in the last few weeks, I came up with a solution which works ok, but takes a while:

1. Load the scene in 3DS Max
            2. Export the scene as FBX
            3. .vrscene exporter
            4. Import FBX in Maya
            5. Create>Import Vray-material from file

Usually when I import the FBX-file, it uses phongs numbered from 1 to x. The VRay-materials are numbered from 0 to x. That means one can select all the objects with Phong 05 and assign VRaymaterial04 on it, it even takes the textures and everything with it. That worked for nearly 70-80% of all the scenes.
            For some reasons, when I want to export the new Evermotion-Archscenes, it crashes when exported to FBX, don't know why, with the old ones it works.

I'm no programmer at all, but I guess it's not too difficult to write a plug-in for 3DS Max and Maya to do the above steps automatically? That would save us a lot of work...

Thanks and a happy new year again...

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X