transmittance based on thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmittance based on thickness

Im having a hard time figuring out how to make a material that falls off from a solid translucent white in thick areas to almost completely transparent in its thinest. The impetus for the material would be a particulate suspension in a clear liquid. Using the SSS material gives the general impression but never goes transparent. Using glossy rays and translucency, and im expecting that im using it incorrectly, doesnt allow me to attenuate the "frosting" based on ray depth. Im thinking that in theory I could use environmentFog with reflective coating(but fog is still not working in maya?).

any suggestions?

you tried the fog multiplier in a vray mat and playing with the fog bias

something like this
    http://www.pixelab.be/blog/2008/09/1...vray-material/

Comment

I have played with that fog mult(that page is a great example btw)... but here's the catch. That method, as far as I have explored thus far, attenuates to black. I need it to result in a full diffuse material... like chalk with a reflective coating.

Comment

change the exit colour to whatever colour you wish

Comment

I wonder if the Maya implementation is not quite complete yet. It seems when you try the same settings as in that tutorial, you either get a completely solid black object, or black error dots all over. Also, even within the subtle range that does work... I cant seem to find a way to make an object that is solid white when over a black background(diffuse white... not self illuminated white) but still becomes transparent when thin enough. Im thinking its time for some comp trickery.

Also, has anyone had luck with working translucency settings in Maya?

Comment

Working...
          X