Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spherical harmonics

Hi,

We're doing a little research and we're going thru a little bit of development in our pipeline and we've seen that recent advances in generating GI with spherical harmonics have been used in production in films such as Avatar. We were wondering if this is something really interesting to look into.
    If it would be compatible with VRay as it is today or if maybe it's a feature you will add in the future. Apparently it would allow real time irradiance at least under certain circumstances.
    We'd appreciate it if you could throw any light on this subject.

Thanx

Actually we do have spherical harmonics on our internal builds already; they will go into the nightly builds soon.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wondering what you guys are doing that you need more rendering optimization..

I'm rendering in production 7 million polys a frame HD in 3 min a frame..
      (with textures etc.. and 24 shaders +)

I've never seen a renderer be this fast. (with or without GI)

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Actually we do have spherical harmonics on our internal builds already; they will go into the nightly builds soon.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Swuh-eeeeeeeeeet!
        Last edited by GatesB; 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

sweet

we're very happy with vray, its not that we need more speed, but of course it would be welcome

we're just trying to maximize efficiency in our 3d pipeline now that we've added VRay to it

Alberto
          www.elranchito.es

Comment

It's showed up in the nightly, anybody had a chance to play with it? Seems to be only a Texture Baking option, not another GI engine option.

-GB-

Comment

Currently it will only make sense if you want to bake the spherical harmonics and export them for use in another application (e.g. a game engine). Rendering will come a bit later.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X