Render Element Contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Element Contribution

is there a way to exclude a mesh from a render element?
    for example I have a vrayRE_Extra_Tex that is using the vray Dirt texture for an ambient occlusion pass. I have a mesh that I want to exlude from this texture is there a way to do that?

Another related question. is there a way to assign two different textures to be used in the vrayExtra_tex pass. for example if I wanted some objects to use a really dark vray dirt texture and another mesh to use a lighter dirt texture. an option would be to just create TWO separate render texture passes and use mattes to cut out the parts of each that I wanted. but I was curious if it could be combined in one less step.

I realize that this may not be the point of using the render element in this way however this would really be beneficial in some situations. hopefully my questions were clear.

Right now I don't know if you can, but I guess you can get it using render layers, create a new one, include all geometry except this mesh, and you should get that you want..

Comment

If you know how to use object IDs right you can do this very easily.

just have to add the 2 extra elements, annd use your mattes to take whichever object you want..

Super simple, and gives you more options at the end.

Comment

yes please you can spare a moment to show me the "right" way to do it.

there is ZERO documentation on the "vrayRE_Extra_Tex" node. so how would I use an object ID to assign it to the texture or not?

I understand how to add an object ID to a mesh or to use the material ID. this is how I make multimatte render RGB pass but its to my understanding its impossible to add 2 object ID to the same mesh?

would be nice to know how to do these 2 things?

Comment

Mm, there's a new "skip object rendering".
          That might do it.(haven't tested it yet)

I actually just saw that with the matting i answered your 2nd option.

I'm curious why you think its beneficial ? I'd prefer doing it in passes over elements in these scenario's.

Comment

well passes are nice in some scenarios mostly i see it as a waste of time and energy. my motivation is purely to have a simplicity of setup as well as an efficiency of rendertime.
            if I make 2 render layers in maya... well then i render the object twice (more render time) and i have more files to deal with (more complexity). so thats a loosing solution.

well what would be the point of "skip object rendering" on a new render layer.. basically I render the main layer then render it again with skip object rendering and use my AO texture but im assuming this is no more efficient than just rendering the occusion then on a seperate layer with material overides. IF i do it ALL in one layer as a render element I think thats more efficient right? basically the render engine has to calculate the most of what it needs for the AO pass anyways or most of it so by using a render element as opposed to a render layer this is supposed to be more effiecient (less time/less complexity)? maybe im mistaken in that fact?

Ah ok I think i did just get what you meant... apply 2 "extra_tex" nodes then matte them out with object ID yes that could work. but im assuming it would be more efficient to apply the "A" texture to only the one objects that i want and the "B" texture to the rest of the objects. I guess this is not how the render elements are designed to work though.

wouldnt it be great though if i could assign the "A" texture an object ID! so that I could say this texture renders with all object ID value 1 and "B" text renders all objects with object ID value 2 etc.

just out of curiosity what is the "Out Connect" used for in the render elements? I see it in all the different passes but dont know what this is for?

sorry for the long explanation i think there is some confusions among the terminology usage.
            Last edited by bradon; 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

The outConnect was used to connect the render elements to the vraySettings node, so they are not deleted as unused when "Delete unused nodes" is used in the Hypershade. It is no longer used since the render elements are not created as shading nodes for some time.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I have found that the only way I have being able to 'Exclude' an object from an VrayDirt added as a VrayExtraTex is to 'Include' everything and leave out the objects you don't want to render. Adding the objects via 'Exclude' doesn't work for me.
                Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

Working...
                X