V-Ray RT for Maya : hardware requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray RT for Maya : hardware requirements

I'm about to upgrade to a better graphics card, have an nvidia quadro fx 1800 in mind.
    Can you make any statement as to what might work best with your (hopefully very soon) upcoming version of V-Ray RT for maya? Nvidia cards are supposedly better with Maya over ati cards anyways, but just want to make sure what I get will work well as I plan to buy it once its out.

Cheers,

enzo

It is a tricky question; V-Ray RT for Maya can of course run on a CPU only. For GPUs, things change so fast that what is relevent today, might be obsolete tomorrow I think that it will be safer to stick to nVidia for now though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Can hardly wait

"For GPUs, things change so fast that what is relevant today, might be obsolete tomorrow"

Are you hinting the quadro 1800 would be outdated by the time RT for Maya is out..? Any possible suggestion as to when we might see it would be highly appreciated.

Maybe existing customers of V-Ray for Maya can put the money down and get some early versions to play with ?

Comment

Well, we got a GeForce 480 here finally; and I can tell you that in view of the Fermi cards, everything else is outdated, at least as far as OpenCL/CUDA calculations are concerned.

The plan for V-Ray RT for Maya right now is to have it available later this year, but of course this is subject to change.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wow, lucky...how does it work with V-Ray/Maya (2010 or 2011), apart from CUDA/OpenCL...any glitches or funny behaviour in the viewport? Texture display, transparency, lights?

I was previously using a 9800GTX and it sucked due to various refresh/hang issues and not being able to display some V-Ray Mtl properties well. That was the thinking behind in getting a quadro with their "certified drivers" and all, though they surely are very expensive for what you get compared to "gaming" cards.

Somebody should do a "known limitations" thing on this sometime..

I'll keep expecting RT, please don't make us wait too long!

Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X