Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reAbout VrayMtl translucency

I have some doubts about this VrayMtl feature:

For get translucency working on VrayMtl material, we need to have refraction, right?.

If we leave the translucency color in middle gray, we have diffusion to zero, and reflection to zero without fresnel effect, we're getting a material that refracts 50% of light and scatter the other 50%, right?
    Last edited by Reaversword; 17-05-2010, 02:14 PM. Reason: Damn!, I can't correct "re" of the tittle!.

No, the translucency color is just used to add a tint to the SSS effect. The correct setup is to make the material refractive, use glossiness of 0.99 and then determine the color of the SSS material with the fog color.
    Best regards,
    Zdravko Keremidchiev
    Technical Support Representative

Comment

Yes, I know translucency color acts like a tint of the fog color. The question its about how to decide what percentage of the material is acting like refraction (no dispersion of light) and what part like subsurface scattering (light dispersion). Or the fact of activate Translucency implies no percentage of clean refraction (no dispersion)?

Comment

If you want to be able to have a percentage of the material acting as refraction while the other part is acting as SSS it is best to use two materials (one SSS and one Refract) in a VRayBlendMtl. Then you can use the Blend amount parameter to determine the ratio between refract/sss.

Best Regards
        Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar.krastev View Post
          If you want to be able to have a percentage of the material acting as refraction while the other part is acting as SSS it is best to use two materials (one SSS and one Refract) in a VRayBlendMtl. Then you can use the Blend amount parameter to determine the ratio between refract/sss.

Best Regards
          Jimmy
          Truth!, OMG, how many times I'm gonna forget VRayBlendMtl material... I'm gonna need take notes on my forehead.. inverted, for read it in front of the mirror.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X