Vray Fisheye in Maya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Fisheye in Maya

I am trying out a workflow for Vray in Maya. The result I want is the same as using the Vray Dome Camera in Max set to 180 degrees. In other words, A PERFECT 180 FISHEYE. The Vray Fisheye camera behaves differently and I can't seem to find the exact settings to give me a perfect 180 degree render. The default fisheye camera in Maya seems to render a bit greater than 180, I am guessing it renders about 200 degrees.

So my question is, is it possible to render out a perfect 180 degree fisheye out of Vray Maya.

And when will the Vray dome camera be available in Maya.

The image I attached has my camera at ground level (red is the ground). If the fisheye was a true 180 degree, the ground would not be visible and the blue ball would be sitting perfectly on the edge of the spherical render.
    Attached Files

To achieve the fish-eye effect you can try using the Distortion option (of the VRayPhysicalCamera) instead. A greater value will distort the image more and it will keep the boundaries to 180 degree.
    Here you can see the effect of the option:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...camera.htm#ex6
    Technical Support
    Chaos Group

Comment

That was a good suggestion but it seem that the effect becomes limited at a setting of 5. The distortion is barrel and not spherical. I just need the fisheye to behave as a perfect 180.

Comment

Yeah, 5 is very large value. Try this camera settings as some real camera:

Film gate: 36mm
        Focal length: 12mm
        Distortion amount: 0.27
        Quadratic distrortion

This will produce result similar to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

For better spherical shape, try:
        Film gate: 36mm
        Focal length: 16.9mm
        Distortion amount: 0.9
        Quadratic distrortion
        Image size: 640x640 (aspect ratio = 1)
        Last edited by varosi; 27-05-2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X