Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll about a new "light select" render element

Hello,

I'm working on a "light select" render element that allows you to extract the normal/raw/diffuse/specular contribution of a single light to a separate element (the direct lighting components only for now); this is basically done but I have a question on its integration in Maya. There are two possible options:

1) The type of element (normal/raw/diffuse/specular) is determined by which light output is connected to the element (lightColor/lightIntensity/lightDiffuse/lightSpecilar), or

2) Add a "type" attribute which specifies what kind of contribution is stored in the element.

Which of these would be more friendly for Maya users? (note that it's all the same for V-Ray as it works differently under the hood anyways).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    By light output connection
    20.00%
    With a separate "type" attribute in the render element
    80.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by vlado; 24-05-2010, 11:20 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

would be great to be able to connect a light to a render element and specify which of the components it outputs such as specular, diffuse etc. Would it also be like one light per one element? or would you be able to connect multiple lights to single element and vray will do the splitting?
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It should do "vray do the splitting" (you can just checkbox which components, and have layer override options)

for all ligths in the scene, except if they are "invisible" or visibility "layer override"

Simple, If render element is present, per light spec / diff spit out...

Comment

I'm a fan of option #2, based on my impression of how it'd work. It would seem to me that much more could go wrong during setup with option #1, and it'd likely require tool development on the user's end for consistency.

--Trey

Comment

Yes, it turned out that I don't really have a choice but to use option #2, since the render element is now implemented also as an object set and multiple lights can be attached to it.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Great, can't wait to see it!

Comment

Option 2 too.

So now we gonna have a window like relationship editor, but with lights & render elements... cool!.

You're trying to do something like "Multilight" of Maxwell render engine, using "light render elements" and vrimg hdr images?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaversword View Post
                You're trying to do something like "Multilight" of Maxwell render engine, using "light render elements" and vrimg hdr images?
                Nope, we don't plan on implementing a mixer. You must use a separate compositing application to add the light contributions together. People mostly wanted this for easier post-production.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Vlado, did you get my email?

It will be faster then Maxwell

Comment

Originally posted by olivervfx View Post
                    Vlado, did you get my email?

Oliver, you mean because Vray renders faster than Maxwell in general, or did you mean something else?

Comment

Yes Sir GatesB, cause it renders way faster..

Comment

Gonna add this feature to our internal tools, and maybe GPU accelerate the light mixing.

I guess PDPlayer could be animated to do it too, I know they'd talked about adding that kind of feature.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          Nope, we don't plan on implementing a mixer. You must use a separate compositing application to add the light contributions together. People mostly wanted this for easier post-production.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Originally posted by olivervfx View Post

Of course at two ones, I refer to the ability to play with lights one time rendered, not at the mixer itself. I must recognize the Vlado answer has been more detailed that my own question.
                          Last edited by Reaversword; 29-05-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Works like a charm!

Nice job guys..

Don't change ...

Comment

Good to know that it works

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X