Env Fog tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Env Fog tips?

Looking for best-practices rendering advice with using envFog in large scenes. I have the fog looking right, but rendertime it super-high, and I still can't seem to sample out enough noise using the nederhorst-method settings (LC+BF - fully adaptive DMC). Perhaps I need to use another method, like irrMap?

I'm using GI scattering in the fog, which helps reduce noise a bit, but it's still way too noisy even at a .001 threshold. I threw 20 machines at it with DR and it still took 45 minutes!

I will advise you to use Irr+LC (for interior scenes) and Irr+BF (for exterior scenes).
    To reduce render time please disable the Scatter GI option and try to match the picture by using the Emission color slot.

To reduce the noise increase the Max subdivs in the Adaptive DMC settings to about 60-80 and if the noise still there you may increase VRayEnviromentFog Subdivs.
    Best regards,
    Zdravko Keremidchiev
    Technical Support Representative

Comment

Thanks for the tips. One question... I've never increased the subdivs for the fog, since I assumed that DMC would do that for me. Is this not the case? Will increasing the fog subdivs really have an effect?

I didn'tincrease my max subdivs in DMC over 50 yet, so maybe higher will be effective... but those render times are way high as it is.

thanks again.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aweidenhammer View Post
        Will increasing the fog subdivs really have an effect?
        Yes!

that will just up the subdivisions for the fog - the dmc does everything, so it's really ineffecient.

Comment

Working...
        X