mel variables in render settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mel variables in render settings?

I was watching Andrew's video where he suggests setting the GI light cache subdivs to the same as the largest part of the render dimensions (usually the width). I was thinking it might be useful (especially in a preset) to have that populated with a mel variable. I think that might be:

%defaultResolution.width

but I'm not really a code guy, so can anyone confirm if this would work?

I don't necessarily agree with setting the light cache subdivs in this way, but why not just assign an expression to that attribute? I.e. right-click on the attribute, select > Create new expression, then enter
    Code:
    vraySettings.subdivs=vraySettings.width;
    Best regards,
    Vladop
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks. What would you suggest setting it to instead?

Comment

It depends on what you want to get in the end. See this page for some examples how the light cache subdivs and sample sizes affect the light cache quality: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...lightcache.htm

In particular, the examples show that increasing or decreasing the image resolution by itself does not affect the light cache quality, so there is no particular need to adjust the subdivs.

On the other hand, if you change the light cache sample size, then you might need to adjust the subdivs.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X