Change how object is affected by lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change how object is affected by lights

I am using Maya and Vray 1.5. Is there a way to select an object within a scene and adjust how much light intensity is effecting it? I have a scene where the lighting works great for the majority of the scene but there is one object that needs less light affecting it. Is there a way to do this without changing the lights but only how that object is affected by the lights? I can't find a way through object properties or material properties to do this. I have searched for a solution and did a bunch of experiments. I thought maybe someone else might have an idea of how to solve this. Thanks.

im a max guy, so i dont know if this is possible in maya (must be!) but the way id do it is exclude the object from the light, and create a new light only for that object, and exclude everything else from that light's effect. that way you can adjust the lighting on the object with its own light.

Comment

I didn't think about doing it that way. It might work with what I am trying to do. The only possible downside is that I will need to make sure whatever new light I use casts light in a similar way so that shadows etc will look like they belong in the scene. It would be much easier to select the object and tell the object to only receive 60% of the light. That would be cool. I am still interested in whether anyone knows of such a feature in Maya and/or VRay. Thanks again for your suggestion. At the very least I can use your method if I can't find a better way.

Comment

if you are generally talking about making an object receive 60% as much light, why not just make the material on that object 60% darker?

Comment

I'll do some experimenting with that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X