Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightmesh, disabling in one render layer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightmesh, disabling in one render layer.

I have some geo that I'd like to function as a lightmesh in one layer, but then shade normally in another layer. Disabling the lightmesh seems to just turn the light off, rather than returning to whatever shader is assigned to that mesh shape.

To get around this I've been duplicating the geo, one of them with regular shaders assigned, the other setup as a lightmesh. This is of course a bit messy - is there any way I can set it up to toggle between lightmesh and regular shading?

I tried wiring in a maya 'choice' node via hypershade, but it didn't seem to work, I'm not sure if that node is supported by Vray.

I have the pCube1.instObjGroups[0] wired into choice1.input[0]. Then from the choice1 node, choice1.output > pCuve1_vrayLightMeshProperties.dagSetMembers[0]. Setting the selector in the choice1 node to 0 or 1 produces the same result, standard shading rather than the lightmesh shading.

** just looking at the thread title and wanted to clarify, this isn't a question about setting up layer overrides, but about how one might toggle a mesh between a lightmesh and standard shading.

thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by jbuttell; 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM.

simple question, why not just use vray light material with direct illumination checked? is using the other method gives you more control/benefit?
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

ahh, thanks for the simple question I suppose in my situation I don't necessarily need all of the extra controls of the meshlight, so I may just simplify it and go with the direct-light option.

I am curious of someone has any idea how one might toggle the meshlight though. It might become a necessity at some point. Shouldn't that choice-node handle the switch, or maybe I'm misunderstanding its purpose.

thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X