Rendering large images.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering large images.

So I am about to try to region render via command line. I had a few questions since I haven't done this before.

If I leave out something from the command line such as -cam cameraShape, will V-Ray use the render settings stored in the mb file? I am cutting the render into 4 chucks.

My currently commands are as follows:

render -r vray -cam CAMERAShape -threads 0 -s 18 -e 18 - -x 6912 -y 3888 -reg 0 3456 1944 3888 POSTER_POSE_001_V004_a.mb

render -r vray -cam CAMERAShape -threads 0 -s 18 -e 18 - -x 6912 -y 3888 -reg 3456 6912 1944 3888 POSTER_POSE_001_V004_b.mb

render -r vray -cam CAMERAShape -threads 0 -s 18 -e 18 - -x 6912 -y 3888 -reg 3456 6912 0 1944 POSTER_POSE_001_V004_c.mb

render -r vray -cam CAMERAShape -threads 0 -s 18 -e 18 - -x 6912 -y 3888 -reg 0 3456 0 1944 POSTER_POSE_001_V004_d.mb

Thanks

-Scott

The -reg option does region rendering, not crop rendering (which is what you need). You will still get an image with the full resolution, but with only the region rendered in it.

The easiest way to render a large resolution image is to use a .vrimg file output, turn on the V-Ray VFB and set the "memory frame buffer" option in the V-Ray Common tab of the Render Settings to either "None" or "Preview". Then use vrimg2exr to convert the result to an OpenEXR file.

The other option is to render with the standalone version of V-Ray, which has command-line options for both crop and region rendering.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 20-09-2011, 04:48 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado. I will try rendering to vrimg first, then if that doesn't work, I will do standalone. Will the standalone grab the stored render globals, or will I have to specify everything at the command line? If I do standalone, is crop all I need with the same format as -reg ?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
        If I do standalone, is crop all I need with the same format as -reg ?
        Yes, more or less. The numbers are left;top;right;bottom with (0,0) being the top-left corner of the image, which is somewhat different than the -reg option.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Is there any limit in terms of large resolution? Ihave the crazy idea of rendering a 160k by 26k image with VRay
          Should that be possible with one go, or is splitting the image the only option here?

Paul
          VFX Supervisor @ www.parasol-island.com personal website www.dryzen.com latest reel http://vimeo.com/23603917

Comment

I think we reach the limit at about 24k. Above that we have to break the image down.
            Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

"Problem" solved. I´m rendering with camera post scale and and animated offset in the camera, much easier than rendering with nasty command line flags
              VFX Supervisor @ www.parasol-island.com personal website www.dryzen.com latest reel http://vimeo.com/23603917

Comment

Working...
              X