Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subdivision, view dependent, edge length - some clarifications pretty please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdivision, view dependent, edge length - some clarifications pretty please...

Hey guys, I'm a bit confused about 'view dependent' & the edge length and the relationship between each other.

Does edge length work with 'view dependent' checked on or off ?
    I'd like to know if turning off 'view dependent' is a bad idea, and if I'm getting some sharp instead of smooth edges which way should the number on edge length be going if that's controlling it ?

Obviously I've looked at this article:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...rib.htm#Subdiv

But I found it a bit confusing under the View-dependent & Edge length sections

Hey Rob,

The value in edge length is used no matter if View Dependent is checked on or off.

But if View Dependent is checked 'on' then the value of Edge Length translates to number of pixels.

If View Dependent is checked 'off' then the value of Edge Length refers to world units.

Best,

Rich

Comment

Hi Rich,

I'm getting some weird artefacts which is down to the subdivision on the geometry.
      So in theory, increasing the edge length number would yield a smoother result ?

Cheers !

(I'm getting less weird jumping pixels when view dependent is off but the edges are more squared off for some reason)

Comment

making the edge length smaller no matter if view dependence is on or off would make it more accurate. Not sure that would necessarily mean looking smoother. Not had much experience with this in vray. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help.

Comment

Cheers mate.

(a bit of cross posting here between another thread I started but eh, never mind)

Essentially, when I have it view dependent ON, the objects up close look great, as the camera pulls back I get random reflection dots on the objects, and some mesh artefacts.
          When view dependent is OFF, up close the objects have some slight jagged reflections here and there but as the camera pulls back it appears that I don't have any random artefacts.

Literally no time left to work out what the hell is going on.

(I'm just testing out reducing the edge length now)
          Last edited by RobPhoboS; 08-10-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Hey Rob,

As you are animating I would keep view dependence OFF. Those artifacts are I am sure are as I direct result of using view dependency.

If with it OFF the object looks jagged then you will want to lower the edge length value.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckie7413 View Post
              Hey Rob,

As you are animating I would keep view dependence OFF. Those artifacts are I am sure are as I direct result of using view dependency.

If with it OFF the object looks jagged then you will want to lower the edge length value.
              I'll try that out, been having a lot of crashes towards the end of test renders (looking like it was maxing out the ram).
              Cheers !

Comment

Working...
              X