Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card for Apple Mac Pro with Vray 2

Hello,

after several hours of researching online what graphics card to use with my system Mac Pro, Maya 2012, Vray 2 for Maya ... I have still one last question to ask specifically Vray users:

Those of you that are on a Mac Pro, we seem to have only three certified options of cards for Mac ..

- ATI Radeon HD 5770 (on PC made as a Consumer-Card) - only for macs bought after 2010
    - ATI Radeon HD 5870 (more powerful) - only for macs bought after 2010
    - NVidia Quadro 4000 for mac (Pro-Card)

Is this the only option? What card are you using for RT and is the performance really helpful to set up lights, for example, rather quickly without classical re-rendering workflow??

For some reason, many people on PC use GTX 580 ... (i cannot use that on Mac, right) ... is performance of your card just as great, reportedly, as the GTX? ..

For me, it seems like the only choice is the Quadro 4000 for Mac .. but is the most expensive solution the only choice i have?

thank you for your possible help

david

hey,
    GPU rendering is not working on Mac OS X. Tried it with a Radeon 5870 and the Quadro 4000...
    Those three cards are what you have available to you. You can always Bootcamp and then you could also use a GTX 580.
    /Bard
    www.hellobard.com
    Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

Comment

Hi, just for your info.
      in a PC win7 I got Nvidia Quadro 4000 with approved tested drivers by Autodesk and Vray 2.0 RT , crashes a lot !!
      Doesnt seem a good combo so far.
      Thanks,
      Alex.

Comment

I have a mac pro with dual 580's, but I can't go into OSX. Stuck in Winblows. I don't recommend using two cards in a MacPro though.. I can only run RT for 10 minutes with both cards being used before things get too hot. I would get a cubix card cage or something like that.

Comment

Works great in Win7 w/570!! No so "Winblows" after all, if it just plain works...

Comment

Working...
          X