Is my version of V-Ray old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my version of V-Ray old?

I have been using V-Ray for Maya V2.00.04 since we purchased V-Ray at work over 6 months ago.

I have noticed that V-Ray 2.0 for Max is on Version 2.20.01. And I have also read about other using having access to "nightly builds".

The download section of the Chaos Group website only lets me access 2.00.04 released In April.

Is there a newer version of V-Ray I don't know about or have access to?

Regards

Lee
    Last edited by leehenshall; 20-01-2012, 03:16 AM.
    Director & 3D Artist at Focal CGI

If you're on the EDU version (like me), that's the newest version we have access to, however a major update is due this month (hopefully, praying).

Comment

Ah Okay. We paid full price for the commercial version.

I'm mainly confused as to what the rules are. Am I allowed access to Nightly Builds? If so is there a process?

I'm finding my current version of V-Ray crashes quite frequently at work (especially RT) and would love to see some updates.

Lee

Comment

leehenshall: You can gain access to the nightly builds by writing and e-mail to our support at vraymaya@chaosgroup.com

Can you explain your crashes? Are they related to the V-Ray VFB?

/Teodor
        V-Ray developer

Comment

Thankyou for your quick response.

V-Ray RT will work most of the time with a clean scene (although sometimes it will hang saying warning scene is empty).

However I am finding that after working with my current scene for a few days now and again it will say something like "fatal error rendering image" in the script editor and then subsequently crash Maya. My work around for this is to import all my objects into a new scene and then it will work again.

Sorry if this is user error but as far as I am aware I am not doing anything out of the ordinary.

See screenshot below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RT crash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	844918

Cheers

Lee Henshall

Comment

Originally posted by leehenshall View Post
            V-Ray RT will work most of the time with a clean scene (although sometimes it will hang saying warning scene is empty).
            The warning is harmless and happens all the time, just ignore it.

Originally posted by leehenshall View Post
            However I am finding that after working with my current scene for a few days now and again it will say something like "fatal error rendering image" in the script editor and then subsequently crash Maya. My work around for this is to import all my objects into a new scene and then it will work again.

Sorry if this is user error but as far as I am aware I am not doing anything out of the ordinary.
            Is it possible to send me the scene?
            Attach it in the forum or use teodor.petrov@chaosgroup.com (if the scene is too big, we can give you access to our ftp).

BTW: In general no user error should cause a crash, so this is some kind of bug and it should be fixed.
            V-Ray developer

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. I have sent you more information to your Chaos Group Email address

Lee

Comment

Hi Guys,
                Yes, really waiting for a new upgrade coming soon, got the same issue that "leehenshall" just explained in every shot from a big production ,so we couldnĀ“t use RT at all ....really frustrated.
                , also random hangs on random frames when rendering in farm, VFB dissapears and several other bugs found.
                We cant send any example scenes but we will check it all again once the new release is out. Crossing fingers.
                Thanks a lot,
                Alex.

__________________________________________________ _____________
                Alex Grau
                www.furia-digital.com
                phone: +34 93 4856327
                fax: +34 93 300 9909

Comment

You can email us to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com for access to the nightly builds. Might be useful anyways, if there are other urgent issues that you need fixed.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    You can email us to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com for access to the nightly builds. Might be useful anyways, if there are other urgent issues that you need fixed.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Any idea on how long it takes to get access to the nightlies? I sent an email on Friday. Just curious as I went from an EDU to commercial license and it's still the same really old build, 2.004. Thanks!

Also, do I need to reprogram the dongle with a new license?
                    Last edited by pixelmonk; 30-01-2012, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I will check, sorry that it took so long. The SP builds are done now (there were some last-minute issues) but it might take a couple of days for them to appear on the official site.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I got set up today w/my dongle reprogramming and on my way. Thanks CG team!

Comment

Working...
                        X