Coverage render element?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage render element?

Can someone explain what the "coverage" render element does and how to use it? I've done a bit of looking and can't find a word written about it anywhere.

Thanks!

As far as I know it's an aliasing related pass. Not sure how to use it though. I would like to know more too.

Comment

The Maya "Coverage" render element contains the aliasing data of the render. It is being used within other render elements, like V-Ray Multi Matte for an example. You may also use it to create selection masks in photo editing software.
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

In more technical terms, it is the percentage of the pixel covered by the object which most contributes to the pixel (it is the same object which goes into the RenderID/ObjectID render element for that pixel).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

So, what's the right way to use it in the post process?
          I tried to get into it some time ago (there was a tut for Fusion with objectIDs), but the results were not really useable (edges not really clean). Is anyone actually using coverage passes? In conjunction with objectIDs? Or in other ways?

Comment

Originally posted by pechart View Post
            So, what's the right way to use it in the post process?
            I hope someone else can answer that as I don't really know - people wanted it, so we just implemented it

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

If Im not mistaken, when I asked one of our compositing td's how would one use coverage, the reply I got was: you can use it a filter mask when you apply pixel filtering in comp, never really had any success with it though. Remember that in some cases like rendering thin fine lines, there is no alternative for filtering with the renderer during the render time.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
              X