Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to do region render in batch rendering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to do region render in batch rendering?

Hi,

I have tried enabling the region render button in the VFB and uncheck "Disable region rendering in batch mode", but the batch rendering still comes out as full frame renders.
    I searched around and most people here mentioned they inadvertently did the batch render with the region render of VFB activated and got the region render after batch rendering. But it's what I need for now for optimizing renders without rendering the whole thing.

I can only achieve batch region render via batch rendering through the VFB window. Any way to achieve this like normal background batch rendering process?

version: Vray 2.20.01
    Last edited by jasonhuang1115; 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM.
    always curious...

You can render out your scene as a VRscene and specify in the region you require in standalone command prompt.

-region=x0;y0;x1;y1 - set the region to render.
    The integer values are in pixels, relative to the upper-left corner of the image.
    Last edited by stezza; 07-04-2012, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stezza View Post
      You can render out your scene as a VRscene and specify in the region you require in standalone command prompt.

-region=x0;y0;x1;y1 - set the region to render.
      The integer values are in pixels, relative to the upper-left corner of the image.
      Thanks for the input, stezza. I was hoping to achieve this directly in Maya with certain options in the render settings. It seems that some users achieve as undesirable result in earlier build, so I thought there is still a way to do that without the standalone command prompt method you mentioned.
      always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
        Thanks for the input, stezza. I was hoping to achieve this directly in Maya with certain options in the render settings. It seems that some users achieve as undesirable result in earlier build, so I thought there is still a way to do that without the standalone command prompt method you mentioned.
        Use the -reg option on the batch render command line, same as for the Maya software renderer and mental ray.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Use the -reg option on the batch render command line, same as for the Maya software renderer and mental ray.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Thank you for the input, Vlado. Is it possible to add that flag into the VRay Common tab of the Render Settings window? I thought the "Disable region rendering in batch mode" checkbox is designed for this purpose. If not, then what is this checkbox for? (for batch rendering through VFB with region render activated in Maya?)
          always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
            If not, then what is this checkbox for? (for batch rendering through VFB with region render activated in Maya?)
            It is a relic since when we had the V-Ray VFB show up in batch rendering; in that case, the region render specified in the V-Ray VFB was used for the batch render. Since we no longer support the VFB for batch rendering (the Qt GUI subsystem is not available in batch render), this option is now obsolete.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

well, just in case that someone finds this post and doesnt know how to do it like me, I just looked at the docs and found the command.
              I use windows powershell to render, since maya is closed I guess I save some ram.

The command is: render -r vray -reg 0 0 0 0 your_scene_file.mb

*replace the zeros with the bounding box of the region. You can find the exact values by opening the script editor, enabling "echo all commands" and then if u select the region in the maya render view it will show the exact region pixels that you can replace by the "zeros".

Btw, in case you want to render animated regions, to test GI issues in animations for example...there is a nice script, it works with vray in my tests, although you can only render in 8bit images, for testing works great.

http://lesterbanks.com/2012/03/batch...n-render-view/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Batch-Render-Region-in-Maya.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	845261

Comment

cheers for the explanation and examples.
                always curious...

Comment

I wrote an automatic batch region renderer into V-Ray Tuner. It's in the utilities menu. Just select the region in the Maya render panel, and select one of the batch region render scripts from the Utilities menu: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...tuner-for-maya
                  Dave Girard | CAN-CON.ca | polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com

Comment

Sweet Dave. Thanks for the heads-up.
                    always curious...

Comment

it also recognizes the percentage render value, so if you want to draft render just a portion at 50%, it will do the math for you. I made a similar thing for Maxwell Render because it doesn't do region rendering by default in Maya.
                      Dave Girard | CAN-CON.ca | polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                      X