maya hair guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maya hair guides

is there a way to use maya hair curves as guides for vray fur, like you can do with maya fur? can it be implemented?

Chris

For the moment there is no way to do that. Why don't you use Maya hair directly? It may be possible for us to implement this, but I don't want to get into any patent issues related to hair...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

maya hair can't be a substitute for vray fur (or maya fur) cause the hair is not intended to cover a surface the way that that fur does so well. shave does a great job of working simple like hair to the user, but evenly covering the surface like fur. patent power.

we have done some "advanced" combing with vray fur using the direction and bend direction maps (we did a rabbit). its was tough at first for the artists, but it gets easier once u get going. Using the maya hair guides to drive the fur...that system is really heavy/slow in 2012. a whole fur character with maya hair guides will bog down your scene (this might be better in 2013?).
      --=============--
      -DW
      -buck.co
      --=============--

Comment

There's nHair in Maya 2013, I don't know if its any different or if it's just for dynamics.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hi Doug,
          so what was your workflow for this ? were you painting the bend & direction maps in maya with 3d paint ?
          do you have any WIP shots ?
          Thanks

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X