Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the correct way to use zdepth passes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct way to use zdepth passes?

I'm not certain if this is a problem inherent in using zdepth passes, or if I am doing something wrong.

I have an image I render. I take the zdepth pass and use it to compute a depth of field.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	zdepthrender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	876422
    If you look in this image there is a lot of...well it sort of looks like blooming and diffusion around different objects. Look at the wires running across the top of the frame where they overlap the building to see what I am talking about.
    Is this just what happens with zdepth passes? Or can I be doing something else to make it look better?

Thanks!

can you post your zdepth pass? It looks like you don't have the wires in the zdepth pass, so the depth information of the objects immediately behind them are determining the blur.
    ------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Freelance VFX Supervisor / Senior 3D Generalist
    ChrisSmallfield.com

Comment

They are definitely there. Hmmmm.

Name:	zdepthrender2.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	845690

Comment

the zdepth pass looks fine, what are you applying it in? Which application and what tools. If you could screen cap the comp and the settings that might help
        ------------------------
        Chris Smallfield
        Freelance VFX Supervisor / Senior 3D Generalist
        ChrisSmallfield.com

Comment

Well in this particular case, I'm apply it in photoshop using their "lens blur" tool and then selecting the zdepth pass as the blur map.

Name:	zdepthrender3.jpg
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	845691
          But the results are the same regardless of what software I use. After Effects does the same thing.

Comment

This is because there is no pixels behind the cables to blur for. Since the zdepth is not a deep image, neither is your render, zblur does not know how to distribute those pixels. I would say you have to split the cable render and its zdepth to another layer and blur it then.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
            X