Maya spotlight in vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya spotlight in vray?

Is it possible to use a regular maya spotlight in vray? I thought I remember a digital tutors tutorial that said that you could, but I don't remember the details. Do you have to make any special adjustments?

Please advise.
    Thanks!

Yes, but V-Ray doesn't do depth map shadows. Raytrace only but it does soft shading ray tracing if you increase the light angle. Everything else just render and test it in ipr
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

One problem I have with Maya spot light is when using linear workflow, whatever value in the penumbra angle, I still have sharp edges. Is there work around?
      thanks.

Yannick
      Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Yannick View Post
        One problem I have with Maya spot light is when using linear workflow, whatever value in the penumbra angle, I still have sharp edges. Is there work around?
        thanks.

Yannick
        We have tested it here - and Penumbra angle is working even with Linear Workflow setup.
        Could you post some example scenes with screenshots of this issue ?

Thank you very much.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,
          I have attached a file showing what's happening. The spot light creates a bright circle.

Cheers,
          Yannick
          Attached Files

Comment

Be careful using Maya spotlights and allowing them to contribute to spec if you're working in animation with adaptiveDMC.

Infinitely small point + adaptive = fireflies in your spec/reflection. One workaround is to put a sphere light or incandescent mesh at the light's location, or simply to not allow them to contribute to specular.

--T

Comment

Very good to know. Thanks!

Comment

I have attached a file showing what's happening. The spot light creates a bright circle.
                That's what you get with the Maya software and mental ray renderers, no? The V-Ray spot light has a parameter to control the falloff type, but it's not exposed in the UI; you can set it from the Python callback to smooth cubic falloff and it might work better.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  That's what you get with the Maya software and mental ray renderers, no? The V-Ray spot light has a parameter to control the falloff type, but it's not exposed in the UI; you can set it from the Python callback to smooth cubic falloff and it might work better.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Hi Vlado,
                  Could this option be revealled in the light?
                  regarding the result, I usually get some burn circle with Vray that i don't get with Maya software or MR. From recollection, the Vray IES light does a better job but require an ies profile

Thanks,

Yannick

Comment

I usually get some burn circle with Vray that i don't get with Maya software or MR.
                    That would be odd, as in your scene, I get very similar results between the three renderers, burnt circle and all.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                    X